Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir FTTH 1GB with Asus DSL-AC68U

• 24-09-2021 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

Hi,

hoping someone can shed some light (excuse the pun!). I just got FTTH 1GB from eir installed I have port 3 on asus modem in dual wan mode. I was able to connect to the internet but seen that vlan tag 10 was 0 so changed that and got connected. Now I did a speed test with my iPhone 12 Pro Max and am only getting 320dl and 90-100ul.

Is there any settings I need to change or edit that would give me great speeds?

I’ll connect my laptop to switch when I get home and do a speed test.

thanks in advance

BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Line details

Ok, directly connected to switch I’m getting approx 407/97 so I’m thinking it’s the limitations of the asus dsl-ac68u. Not that I need 1000 but would have been nice to see it closer to the 960mb mark!

all my network gear is UniFi apart from asus modem. I have this modem about 6 years and has served me well. What about picking up a dream machine pro for my rack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Whats up with DSL stats anyway, I thought you said it is FTTH , not FTTC ? Do you have both?

Not sure as I only have FTTH, I still have my dsl line plugged into the asus modem so maybe it’s just showing it there for that reason.

You obviously have 2 wans at the same time FTTC (100 Mbps DSL line ) and FTTH 1Gbps.

Maybe this is the reason ASUS couldn’t work fast enough?

Do factory reset of the ASUS, make sure it is disconnected from dsl line ,ONT, switches etc during the process. Don’t plug DSL line again after reset.

if speeds still remain slow , replace ASUS with Eir router for now ( F3000 more than capable of gigabit speeds )

Post edited by alec76 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Try running two wired connections into the router (if you have two machines with ethernet ports), and transfer a large file between them. All 4 ports on that Asus device are rated at 1Gbps, so they shouldn't bottleneck you like that. Rule out the ISP by testing the internal transfer rate on the wired network.

Haven’t had much time to play around this, but I’ve reset the asus modem to factory settings and did another speed test on laptop and still between 350-400dl/90-99ul.

I’ve been given an F3000 to test my FTTH on so will se how that goes over the weekend.

Is it wired speeds?

Some of the laptops fails to go beyond 350-400 mbps Ethernet for silly reasons, mostly software limitations ( SmartByte for Dell pcs ) or MacBooks not always Ethernet friendly ( unlike MacBook Pro)

F3000 could produce decent WIFI speeds ( up to 550 mbps , I’ve tried with Google Pixel) but for very short range , you have to be right near to it .

Yes this is weird speed tests.

I switch asus modem out for f3000 today and did a speed test connected to ethernet port of f3000, I connect wan port on f3000 to ONT. On my xps laptop I tested with Ethernet adaptor hard coded for 1Gps and auto-negotiation, max speed I got on both doing about 10 tests on different Speedtest sites was 450dl/99ul. Switched our f3000 for factory reset asus dsl-ac68u and exact same connection except I have to connect it to my Ethernet port which is configured as a wan port and got same results.

Stumped!!

Hold on , XPS would be DELL, right?

Could be SmartByte software by DELL, it is sort of QoS , limited to 300-400 mbps.

Try to find it and disable/uninstall it

You iPhone 12 Pro should go above 500 mbps with F3000 wireless too

another thing , how old is XPS ?

If you connect Ethernet adapter to USB 2 port then 450 mbps would be your max results , to get Gigabit speeds adapter need to be plugged to USB3 port

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. The xps is only 3 years old. I’ll try disable that service on it and test again. I’ll do a bit more testing tomorrow with your suggestions and see how I get on.

just Did a speed test on PS5 after you set up network settings (wired ) and it’s giving me 599dl/66ul

I’ll test again tomorrow or tonight if I have a chance

thanks for the replies much appreciated

bobbyT28

Hopefully you’ll get sort it.

Try to use SPEEDTEST app from Windows Store instead of your browser , it might bypass this SmartByte altogether. I found Airwire ( Galway) and Blacknight ( Dublin ) most reliable servers btw.

Yeah using blacknight also. I’ll try the app instead and report back

Advertisement