Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bait hives/ Swarm Traps

Options
  • 23-09-2021 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Does anyone have any recommendations for these?

Where do you place them?

How many in an area?

Looking to set some in March and need to look for suitable spots beforehand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I had two plywood NUCs out which were baited for a few months this year to no success ( first year trying).

I had been told to keep them about 6 to 8ft off the ground so I had placed them on a shed roof and a flat roof of an old cottage.

I assume everyone has different advice but depends on the amount of beehives in the area too, I'm quite remote and I believe I don't have any other beekeepers in a 5 mile radius.

I will bait the NUCs next year and have them out just incase my own Hives decide the wander aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Caught a swarm this year. A neighbour saw them moving over her house towards mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

I heard that if you put them on the edge of tree lines on a "prominent" tree it will have greater success. Also single large trees in the middle of a field is good because they are used as waypoints.

Every day driving home Im checking all the fields out.

Advertisement