Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Vents to be inserted into multiple rooms in the house

Options
  • 23-09-2021 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Please remove if I'm in the wrong place. We've recently moved into a mid terraced house that is approximately 100 years old and the engineers report had previously stated that some air vents would need to be installed. Recently with the weather getting colder I've noticed a lot of condensation on the inside of the windows so want to get some air vents installed.

I originally thought it would be a case of using a kango hammer and just throw a few holes in the wall but now it seems to be more to it. Can anyone advise on what my options are? Are there regulations to follow? I've also heard about some mechanical device within the vent that pre-treats the air. Does such a thing exist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

Can this be moved to the correct place if wrong? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I certainly wouldn't go at it with a kango!

You can use a core drill for something like this, but if you don't know what you are doing, you might be better hiring someone like holemasters to do it for you.

Thanks for the reply. I've educated myself a bit more about Heat Recovery Ventilation and am wondering if this would be suitable. I think I need to test for air tightness within the house first. Is there any recommendations for providers in the Cork area or somewhere I can look?

A 100 year old house wouldn't be suitable for a heat recovery system without major work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭zg3409

What is the BER? Can the existing windows be locked slightly open to act as a vent or do the windows have a vent flap that can be used? Typically in a house with no vents you might leave all windows slightly open which will act similar to a vent.

In terms of putting vents on walls, you might want to consider external wall insulation at the same time, and possibly new windows, drilling or making holes will destroy the entire room with dust, including into closed presses. It's a major job and every room might need redecoration.

Water on inside of double glazing is common, particularly if cold morning and curtains or blinds closed. It's not ideal, you may also find water on inside walls. Vents or open windows will reduce chance of mold and damp forming. It typically gets worse if heating is on. Leaving internal doors open helps with air flow and make sure bathroom window is open during showers and after showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

There are several other options for appropriate ventilation between "hole in the wall" and MVHR. For example cMEV or DCV.

An air tightness test is generally a good place to start when considering which system may be best suited.

Send me a pm if you need more info on service providers in the Cork area.

Much of the older housing stock can be a lot tighter than you think!

It would depend very much on how said house was originally constructed / renovated etc.

Really? I find that a little hard to believe.

And apart from making the house air tight, there's still a lot of work to install the ducting.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look at your suggestions. In my opinion I'd consider the house fairly airtight but I'd leave it to the professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Have you considered a PIV system even as a cost effective short time measure. I have a 90 year old property with no vents and had the same issue with condensation due to lack of ventilation.

I installed a drimaster unit last year and has sorted the issue completely.

• Advertisement

IMO, cMEV is a better solution than PIV because of the reduced risk of a damp structure (you are not driving moisture laden air out through gaps & cracks in your (cool) structure).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

If a house has no tongue and groove ceilings, no external wall dry wall, no dormers, and no casement windows airtightness can be pretty good but as you ducting will a challenging if the house has more than one floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I got a hole bored this week by a guy who had the proper tools.

160 mm hole done in 30 minutes

Advertisement