Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some men only champion women after having a daughter? - a column

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Its on the one hand a reasonable question and the other hand a bit of a stretch - 'personal experience shapes people's views', wow what a shocker.

As for the very Irish Times, covering all bases, use of the word 'some'.....of course we dont mean 'all' men......but generic enough to mean men in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If you had a daughter like Ivanka, you'd want to date her too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Typical columnist dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You're misreading it, men are being chastised for not having an interest in someone else's daughter until they have one of their own. It's the logical flipside of the paedo panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I like Joanne but she is way off the mark here. If I have a daughter who is into womens soccer of course im going to get more involved in women's soccer, bring her to matches etc. I won't be feeling guilty that I didn't "see" these women before I had a daughter.

• Advertisement

Talk about looking for a story. I'm sick of all these rubbish articles nowadays that are much ado about nothing.

I think I know how this works now.

I never gave a **** about Minecraft until I had a son. Something, something, misandry?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Why are women interested in women stuff just because they are women

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Another column from another vacuous virtue signaling prick who thinks men & women operate on a hive mind basis - **** off.

Wimmin are better than men because they don't take an interest in their sons' activities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Yep,

I hate soccer and golf, I mean really hate them. My son now plays both, so I coach soccer at the underage level. And Golf, we I don't teach golf

Am I wrong now that I didn't see all underage golfers and sorcerers before ????

OH god, someone ring the times and have me put out of everyone else's misery.

I don't have a daughter and I watch women's golf, i have no interest in women's football, Gaelic, rugby etc. I like women's athletics and gymnastics in the Olympics. I'll bet that journalist still hates me though.

You should be ashamed of yourself Mr. Man.... 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Can we just not? By taking time to copy and paste some randomers and I do mean randomer 'cutting take' column. You give it oxygen beyond the absolute milliseconds it was ever meant to have.

Its diatribe more of the click baity let's put people against something it doesn't matter what , creation of tribalism nonsense.

If we just flicked past it like the OP should then the world would be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

OHH im sure theyd find some sort of pervy angle for that! 🙄

Shur why would you be watching ladies/woman/females in sport if ya hadnt a daughter ...Filthy dirty men.. all the same!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yawn...

I have seen vociferous women on the side of a rugby pitch who wouldn't have know the sport existed before they had sons who play the game.

Similarly I've seen 'non sporty' men on the side of a rugby pitch just because their daughters play

This is just people being people

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

More importantly, why does the media and Hollywood like to portray women and girls in an unrealistic manner in order to empower them?

Like for example, every other action movie showing some tiny woman kicking the crap out of 4 or 5 huge men. Perhaps it's done more for the entertainment of men, I'm not sure. But I don't really see how it empowers women and girls to portray them unrealistically. Or to subliminally tell them that they need to be physically stronger than men in order to have self worth.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I have a daughter, I encourage her in every way

Do I " champion women " ?

Women are more than half the population, I've no interest in the vast majority of them ,same as the vast majority of men

The piece is just another turgid addition to identity politics and victim culture

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Post edited by growleaves on

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭sekiro

Seems a bit mean. Dads in the age of social media trying to express pride and support for their daughters. Surely an objectively wholesome and positive thing?

The Response: "So, a lesson to all #GirlDads. Don’t feel extra proud because you’ve tried harder to be there for them. Acknowledge that it’s your place as a member of society to be better, do better and ask for better. Try to create an equal society in the present for this current crop of women. After all, many women today need your help and can be role models who your children want rather than need."

It seems a bit mean spirited to me. Like the writer has seen men getting praise for something and thought "not on my watch". So it gets twisted in a real mean and malicious way. Oh, you're proud of your daughter, are you? Just proves you didn't see women before you had children!

"And even more sinister, does it take a female relative to actually humanise and normalise women’s struggles for a man?"

"The intention is probably good, but, in truth, it just feels degrading and unsatisfactory."

Maybe sometimes it's easier to just let men have the win. Dads being proud of their daughters? Great. Let's see more of that. No need for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

'Whether they realise it or not, #GirlDads are accidentally reiterating that a father-daughter relationship with meaningful interest is an exception rather than the norm. That essentially means that fathers have to try extra hard to find a connection than if they had a son.'

Absolute load of tripe. My four year old means the world to me. When she's a little older, if she wants to go and do sports (I have no interest in sports) I'll do that. If she wants us both to go and have our nails painted, I'll do that.

This woke-ism, sexist nonsense is getting out of hand. I have no expectations or aspirations for what my daughter may do. So long as she grows up to be a happy, confident and independent person, I'll be a happy dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Another rubbish article.

I've 3 daughters. All 3 have went through phases of different sports. All useless. They'd be the first to admit it themselves.

I have zero interest in women's sports. Not once have I ever been on the edge of my seat or jumped off my feet watching any women's sports....ever.

Don't get me wrong that a lot of female athletes are incredible at what they do, but any sports that I watch are better in my eyes played by men.

I've stood on the sidelines watching my daughters do hockey, athletics, gymnastics etc....skill levels were poor but they were enjoying themselves so that's a win in my books.

Champion women all you like but I'm not going to feel bad for having no interest in women's sports.

As an aside I don't want to come across as some outdated sexist person by playing down women's achievements in the world.

I work in construction and give me a female architect, supervisor etc any day of the week. Much easier to deal with and none of the ego's that a lot of men bring to the table.

The pile on when i posted on twitter , more or less , what most posters here have been saying was unreal....

The writer ,kinda evaded the subject , and said Men dont see women until you have a daughter ....

SHAME ON ALL FCUKING MEN......

Crazy stuff ........

Post edited by greenspurs on

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dynomutt

It’s just a case of another mouthpiece rehashing an old Huffington Post article and getting lauded as an innovator by her echo chamber pals on Twitter while milking a few media interviews from it.

A common trend amongst these Irish “activists” who don’t have a single original thought in their head.

And then she blocked me !! 😂🤣😂

Cowardly ...

Can't see the evidence that they didn't "see" women before having daughters. Surely their expectations of their daughters would be lower if that actually were the case.

What I find much stranger is the woman hating contingent on social media who have daughters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Your post about not wanting to watch women's sport reminds me of an old comedy sketch. I won't post it on here as it is slightly NSFW, but you can find it on youtube if you google "smith and jones women's football"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What I find much stranger is the woman hating contingent on social media who have daughters.

maybe what the author was getting at was the contingent of men who don't put any credence in issues women face until they hear it from their own daughters. i know a couple of men who have had this conversion on the road to damascus (e.g. my father in law refusing to believe that men leering at teenage schoolgirls was an issue until my wife had to explain repeatedly to him that it used to happen her *all the time*)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why do women need championing ? By men or anybody ?

I watch the Irish women’s football the other night... in a conversation I had in the aftermath of the game, I spoke very positively about them , because they won and in doing so played well against a determined and talented Australia side...I don’t have a daughter, I’m sure if they’d been playing poorly and lost I’d have been constructively critical... but they were excellent so that view was shared as part of the discussion...

people inhabit this planet, nice, not so nice, good, bad, talented, no so talented, men and women... that’s it, this identity caper is beyond dim and boring ..

• Advertisement

Advertisement