Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed line to 5G?

Options
  • 23-09-2021 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

saw another thread here on a poster looking to improve their BB and were advised never to move from fixed to wireless.

In my case though, my speeds are significantly less, just over 20Mg.

Three seems like a good fit, with their 5G pro installation, between the family plan and the number of us on three already we look like we’ll break even with just the installation fee as the extra charge.

However - is it a good move?

NBI are in the area and it seems that in the next 6 mths we might be eligible for connection, but I heard the same over 2 years ago when SIRO sent out engineers to check the power lines and I’m still waiting.

Been with my current provider for years (not EIR) and apart from a few issues they’ve been really good, but with where I live I can’t see them increasing the speed beyond where it is without a hardware update.

So - 5G - is it a worthwhile move or should I hold out for another 6 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

5G is likely to suffer from congestion more than a fixed line with speeds more inconsistent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Chances are 5G is going to be just in cities, towns for the next few years, if you can get 5G where you are and it's cheaper than it's a no-brainer go for it, but make sure you can get it first, maybe a 30 day trial first.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Cheers, got an email from NBI, seems we are to be connected shortly… might hold 5G in reserve, depends on if I can avoid a certain ex State provider. Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

4G is far more developed than 5G, especially outside the suburbs.

Self install decent (CAT12 or greater) 4G gear, 20E PAYG sim. If NBI hit six months no great loss and you have a backup if you ever need it. If they run on three years then you'll be delighted with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Good idea. Don’t go scaring me with 3 years wait, was just told it’ll be as late as Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Friends in Meath just got revised out several years, don't put any faith in quoted dates until you see KN Circet digging up your ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

4G is a great option. I've been using VF Simply 4G for 3+ years, and its been great. I didn't even need any antennae. Just put the VF device in the attic, and the signal was strong enough. I may even keep it as a backup when the fibre arrives...

Advertisement