Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Taking over farm 2022

• 23-09-2021 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ irishguy19772

Any advice on where to go to get some pointers on taking over farm?

Can chat to our accountant but wondered if teagasc would help?

Taking over a small family farm next year. 10 cows and a bull. Slatted shed and about. 40 acres of average marginal land. Selling weanlings, beep sceheme and Bps schemes are what are bringing in money

I work full time so planning to reduce herd by a couple of cows and try to get on new schemes.

Have introduced a camera for calving and improved fencing, added pasture drinkers

Any advice on anywhere in Clare Galway area I could go for advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭ mr.stonewall

You will have to complete a business plan that will be signed off by teagasc for young farmer stamp duty relief.

Good accountant, and good solicitor is a must. Also valuations of land, stock and other farm assets eg machinery.

You will have to have 90% of total assets after the transfer to get the stamp duty relief.

Give it lots of time to complete as these things tend to take time.

Its a few years since I did it but the bits and pieces take time to gather

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ irishguy19772

Thanks for the tips above

Unfortunately I am 36, so possibly too old now for the young farmer stamp duty relief.

I am trying to ascertain would it be best to transfer herd number or to have a joint herd number.

The assets will stay in his name for a while

This will probably be the first step in passing the farm over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭ crackcrack30

Hi,

If you go into the irish examiner website there is a great article covering alot of your querys.... type in to search in site..

The farm transfer dilemma: Through your will or while you are still alive

Advertisement