Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

citroen Berlingo Camper

Options
  • 22-09-2021 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

i bought a Berlingo which is recently registered as a camper van on its log book by its previous owner is taxed and has a DOE

I am having no luck trying to get an insurance quote as im being told it does not have the required head room

Anyone got suggestion how this insurance problem can be solved or a broker that would cover small day camper like this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Shoog

Buyer beware, a little bit of digging in the forums would have warned you this would happen and is undoubtedly why he sold it to you in the first place. Even if you could meet the height requirement they would likely hit you with clear front to back access. Frankly they just don't want you and probably never will. They will also insist on an engineers report which you probably don't have either.

Not helpful I know.

The only option open to you is to approach the MCCI (Motor Caravan Club of Ireland), but if you read the current thread on that club you will realize that the chairman and gatekeeper is erratic and bad tempered and if you even slightly upset him he will show you the door.

Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭foozzybear61

Not looking promising so ,,,, maybe take the hit on the cost and just use it as a regular van so,

Is it difficult ,,( expensive) to get it reclassified down to commercial use and where would I

have to go to do this ? , its no good to have it sitting in my drive...

Not certain how that would go. You might get a VRT refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The thing about 'camper insurance' is that it is a tailored product for vehicles that are owned by people who have another vehicle insured for social and domestic use as their main daily use vehicle and the policy price of about €350 reflects that. Remember that price is for any motorhome/camper of any age with an engine size of up to 7,000cc and a value of up to €120,000 or thereabouts.

It should therefore be understood that brokers will very carefully vet new business to ensure only genuine vehicles that are second vehicles and which will only be used for leisure purposes and not for commuting or as a primary vehicle gets through the vetting process.

However, if a person wants camper insurance and they do not have another vehicle insured for daily used I believe that is available for around double the 'camper' policy price.

I keep hearing about these fabled alternative options, but when pressed to supply exact actionable details of where and how - they are literally never supplied. Certainly none of the usual Camper van brokers offer these options to my knowledge. Its like dangling a carrot in front of peoples noses based upon a story down the pub .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 mikelan

Try Richardson's, nice to deal with. They don't have the 1.8m requirement some have. My low roof vivaro is insured with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭foozzybear61

Advertisement