Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Commuting Clothing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭ 07Lapierre

Short answer is no. You can't stay dry and not sweaty while cycling in winter.

In winter, you dress to stay warm/sweaty. the best option is to carry dry clothes in a bag and change into them when you reach your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bluejohn1

I’d just wear something that drys quick and is breathable.

I’ve a 15km each way. Summer/autumn I just wear bib shorts and gym like t shirt, if cold a base layer. If you get wet you’re wet. When it gets colder I have longer thermal bibs, base layer and decent rain jacket(galibier foul weather jacket). Jeans t shirt and much are in the pannier rack bags. Luckily radiator beside the desk so I wear what drys quick when the weather is dog ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭ Macy0161

I just change when I get there. I have access to showers, but I'd get away with baby wipes/ flannel.

If that's not an option, I'd probably look at quick dry hiking gear (although not very warm in my experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭ Tombo2001

One thing I wear in winter and find very good is a windproof hat that fits inside the helmet. This type of thing.

Vaude Bike Windproof Cap III - Cycling cap | Buy online | Bergfreunde.eu

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 33,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Seth Brundle

Aside from a decent jacket, what I would recommend most of all for winter is shoe covers e.g. these and a decent pair of gloves for when the weather gets cold (I use these but they have thicker ones)!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Darkglasses

In my opinion, rainproof overtrousers are a godsend in the really heavy rain - https://eurocycles.com/altura-nightvision-3-waterproof-overtrouser/

As for dry from rain and not sweaty, i had the most success wearing a good quality rainproof jacket and overtrousers, and something light underneath (shorts and tshirt). Full change of clothes needed when you get to work though. Jeans are a non-runner really

Advertisement