Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows USB install on Multiple Laptop's query

Options
  • 22-09-2021 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

My Brother's Laptop Hard disk just died. Can I install Windows onto his new SSD drive from my Windows Bootable ISO USB with no issues. Or have Windows placed a limit on the amount of different Laptop's my copy of Windows can install? Can they trace the install back to me?

Tagged:

Comments

technically it's one licence key, one laptop

but in reality you will just get a notice on the screen saying to validate windows and might miss out on some updates

buy a cheap windows key from ebay maybe - not a big risk outlay

do a bit of research as to which site has been around for more than a week or two!

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=windows+10++key&_sacat=0&_sop=2&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Once windows 10 was installed and activated before hard drive failure you can install windows 10 from your usb once same version or get the latest installer from the Microsoft direct as it's free to download. The only thing you will need to know is the version of Windows 10 IE home or pro which was installed before. You will be able to install same versions again. Most branded laptops with windows 10 have the licence built into the Bios of the computer. Windows 10 should activate once online itself.

Advertisement