Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Separation Complicated Assets.

Options
  • 22-09-2021 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi thanks for reading.

Marriage has broken down and no reconciliation will be possible, broke down over a period of 2 years.

I purchased a house before marriage for in excess of 500k cash no mortgage.

Added wife to property deeds roughly 5-6 years ago with an agreement with solicitor that if anything went pear shaped i would split home 50/50.

Still on relatively good terms and have 4 daughters. Providing is not a problem and never will be.

The property is worth somewhere in the region of 900k, she feels i should move out and get on with it.

We had agreed to sell the property and split 50/50 which ive no problem with, will make sure she has a home in same area and the kids are fully catered for. If I've to help out with purchase price I've no problem with that as long as it realistic.

Other assets will be split 50/50 no issue there.

Dont want things to get nasty or difficult but would rather we had 2 separate properties to cater for ourselves and children going forward.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

A month and no replies or advice, Id be interested to see the solution or answers to this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭XsApollo

If she has no intention of agreeing to sell it , then you can’t make her.

would have to go through the courts to get it done I imagine.

kids ages will be a factor in a judges ruling, but the fact the value of the house is high and no debt and the possibility of affording another home might help in the judge granting the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Doubtful the judge is gonna upend the kids lives, you will have to wait it out till the kids are 18 or finished full time education

Go to court and seek a property adjustment order as part of the separation.

In your circumstances, it would not be unheard of for a court to order the home for sale, especially when the proceeds of the sale be enough to cover two new homes - and especially as this is something you had previously agreed and she is now recanting on!

After separation, both parties have to accept a drop in their living circumstances and your wife cannot expect to continue living in a €900k house until your children are out of education, while you have to rent in the interim, when there are other options in your case. If she doesn't want to sell, then she should buy you out.

Kids ages are not the big factor it's usually assumed. People move house all the time, and kids move home with them - they are very adaptible!

Good luck.

Advertisement