Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lambda NCT fail - what to do?

• 22-09-2021 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Audi A4 1.8t failed on hi idle Lambda.

Actual: 1.13

Required: between 0.97 and 1.03

CO was 0.02 vol% (fail at 0.2)

HC 0 ppm (fail above 200ppm)

I drove the car for 15 minutes to the test centre from cold but burbled along rather than driving hard (I see folk talking of warming the catalytic conv)

Engine oil temp was 80C

Guy at the NCT said it was usually a leaky exhaust that caused this.

Anyone any advice on what action to take?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'd a fail on high lambda before that was leak in exhaust alright. Thats not to say that is definitely the cause.

You might be able to get under car and look at exhaust and spot the leak, would normally occur around joints.

If you cover the end of exhaust pipe it can make it easier to spot as will for it out the leak, don't get under car with it running but up on jack stands and lie down beside it and get someone to hold rag over end of exhaust.

If it is a leak can maybe be fixed with gun gum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Cheers. It's due tyres so I'll get the fast fit lads to get it on the jack

• Registered Users Posts: 29 smartarsery

Last time I failed on emissions I just threw some Dipetane in with the fuel, and finally went to the bother of fixing a little crack in the vacuum line on the turbo, and it passed next time, no problem.

But from my science days I think I remember "lambda" meaning "difference", so it's maybe the difference in emissions between the upper and lower oxygen sensors in the exhaust? So a hole in the exhaust would probably make more sense, or maybe one of the sensors is faulty or dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

The stones need to be reddened out of that car on the way to the test centre, at least a 20-30 min drive.... Different results then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭John.G

Does look very like a exhaust leak, putting it up on a ramp is the best way to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭blackbox

If the lambda is high, it means there is too much oxygen in the exhaust. No amount of hard driving will fix this.

Clean the MAF and check the vacuum leak. Never use electrical contact cleaner. Too many people seriously thinking it does the same job and that is very wrong. I understand them too, MAF cleaner cost several times more money and hard to find it on Ireland. Vacuum leak detection I suggest to use the smoke machine. Yes there is possible to find the spot by soapy water or brake cleaner but for DIY it can lead to catastrophe or burn entire car down. I was thinking to share possible cool smoke machine project, but then I released it can cause inexperienced DIY enthusiast death. So I do not share that. Only what you need to know the baby oil makes a smoke on specific temperatures. Use your imagination and be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've never heard of a car being burnt down with soapy water.

Brake cleaner can burn it down, too much soapy water can lead to hydrolock. So, select wisely your tools.

Had it up on a ramp down at fast fit and couldn't detect anything amiss with the exhaust. Unfortunately. But cheers..

• Advertisement

That's what I just read a min ago on an informed sounding post. Lambda should be 1.00(000).

Sounds like I'm running well lean. What kinds of thing cause this? Besides an air leak (which poster Local Car Mechanic has pointed to)

Post edited by antiskeptic on

Thanks for the tips. I'll see can I track down cleaner. Get what you say about hyrolock. Although DIY I'm handy so know not to over cook it with soapy water. But what vacuum am I looking to test - the intake side of things generally or something specific?

Cheers..

Can I not just oil some of the air filter to block it and richen up the mix a tad?

😀

Start from visual inspection, look the cracks, listen the noise. Check every hose what is connected to intake manifold. If you have access to live data you can block hose by hose clamping/blocking these off. Check PCV valve. Load of things is made by plastic, it can crack over the time. To rule out MAF problem you can disconnect it and car use default settings. Load of thing to do but you can to do it if you really want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If the car is running well and the CO/HC emission are otherwise good (very good in this case) IMO the main suspect is still the exhaust. If the car was actually running lean or had an "upstream" issue would the engine management system not try to compensate for that? How thoroughly was the exhaust examined, I would carefully run my hand over the entire length of it to feel for leaks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Agreed BrianD3- High idle CO failure is in my experience almost always an exhaust leak. With these readings Id imagine its probably a minor leak in between one of the joints.

Best way to find it is to block the exhaust with a cloth covered hand see if you can hear or see a leak.

I only had a few minutes when the car was up on the ramp. I did run my hand over everything I could access but I was in hurry so if the leak was very slight I'd have missed it. And I could only really access from endpipe to where the exhaust disappeared up into the engine bay. The fast fit guy held his hands over both ends of the exhaust.

Out of interest, how does a leak "lean" the exhaust?

I'd have thunk the exhaust leaking would see fumes coming out rather than air being sucked in (so as to "lean" the results)

The car is running fine otherwise.

You mean High Idle Lambda?

Question: if I'm doing this on my own would it suffice to block one of the two exhaust outlets (twin pipe audi a4). I don't imagine I could block both pipes for very long without causing an issue somewhere?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

It leans the exhaust emissions because its not always "blowing" out the back - there is a certain amount of back pressure and if you have a hole in the exhaust then its this back pressure that causes it to run lean ie too much air mixed with the fuel.

Advertisement