Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing camera equipment through customs on a trip to Britain

Options
  • 21-09-2021 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I'll be heading over to England in a few weeks and I'll be bringing some of my camera equipment. I haven't done this since Brexit so I'm wondering if I should do anything so as to avoid any issues if any at customs?

Has anyone brought their gear through recently? Are customs checking?

I'm more concerned about returning to Ireland as they don't seem to be checking anything going into Britain at the moment.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Assuming you're carrying your gear in a bag, ready to use, you shouldn't have any issues. I'd bring my receipts just in case though. You might be unlucky enough to come across a grumpy customs officer so no harm to be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭jbv

Going few years back and visiting non EU countries.

The problem was always in the non EU country.

Had to declare the item to customs entering the country and again on exit.

They were giving me something written with the make, model and serial number.

I doubt it they will check this in UK or Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

I’m probably overreacting but it’s best to be prepared for all outcomes — I had a friend of mine get stopped a few years ago coming back from the US and they wanted to see receipts for his iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

You can go to customs at airport before departure and you can get a form for the equipment you are bringing with you and on your way back if stopped just show form to them.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Got the ferry to Holyhead last week, back on Monday. Was asked at Dublin Port if I was carrying any alcohol or tobacco.

Had numerous cameras and lenses with me. All pretty clearly second hand. If I was to be asked I would simply pull up my relevant Amazon orders. Unless it is clearly a new product there is very little they can do.

It seem to me they are only really interested in anything that is bought without any duty/VAT at all, although technically they can seek Irish VAT even if UK VAT has already been applied (or vice versa)

• Advertisement
Advertisement