Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is Half Moon club spot tidal?

Options
  • 21-09-2021 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Can I swim at the Half Moon spot on the south wall when the tide is low? I'm in Drumcondra and want an early morning swim this week and don't want to have to schlep all the way to the 40 foot....

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

What about the Bull wall, Portmarnock, Howth, Malahide?

Would be easier to get to than the Half Moon spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

Bull Wall is the closest but no good when the tide is out. I think the Half Moon is probably closer than the others.

Also aren't the others also tide dependent?

Surely anywhere on the sea is tidal.

I was using "tidal" in this context (given the forum) as shorthand for you can only swim there when the tide is in. Perhaps I should say "tide affected".

So some sea swim spots in Dublin are not tide affected eg. the Forty Foot. Hence my OP saying I could go there at low tide but it's very far.

Has anyone reading this actually swam at Half Moon? Ever? At Low tide?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I’d say malahide is definitely tidal, and portmarnock is to a lesser extent. You’d get wet alright, but when the tide is fully out you’ll be wading a good while before you get over waist deep. Bull wall is fully dry land when the tide is out

• Advertisement

Ok so it seems the half moon spot is tide affected. So the only (main) spots you can swim in low tide is 40ft and Vico - oh that spot under the cliffs in Howth I think works in low tide too but I didn't have first hand knowledge of that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Which spot under the cliffs are you talking about in Howth? You can swim at Lion's head/the Bailey at low tide, but I wouldn't jump it then. There's a spot near the start of the cliff walk on the village side, but access can be tricky. It can be done at any tide.

Half moon is tidal, but you're ok 90 mins or so either side of high tide. Same goes for Dollymount really, and Seapoint on the Southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭dublin49

I swim on Northside so know the run of things ,Bull Wall swim up to 2.5 hrs after high tide,Malahide at low rock has water all the time but the comment above about walking out is valid but not a show stopper,maybe 150 yards to swim height at low tide,There is a channel in Sutton beach with water all the time and water similiar to Malahide at Portmarnock all the time,Balscadden beach in Howth has water most of the time but is tough getting in unless at least 2 hours after low tide,I have headed to 40 Foot many times for same reason as OP due to lack of water .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, I'd love if there was a 40 foot style location on the northside without having to go too far.

Advertisement