Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nitrates too loo?

Options
  • 21-09-2021 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi. I have a 200 liter, medium to low planted freshwater aquarium with about 20 inhabitants. I have been doing some routine water measurement lately specifically to keep an eye on nitrates. Nitrates are food for plants and some of my plants are not doing great. The thing is I am lucky to barely measure any trace of NO3 on my JBL Test kit. About 1ppm.

I would expect NO3 to creep up between water changes, to something over 10ppm, which would be fine the fish and plants, but it never does. I’m considering not doing any water changes for a while to see what gives. I treat my tap water with Seachem Prime. Could that explain why NO3 is not rising, or that it is not detectable?

Advertisement