Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swim teacher qualification?

• 20-09-2021 5:58am

I've recently noticed a lot of parents inquire about swim lessons for their kids, and at the moment the responses I've heard is that there's months waiting list to get into a class.

I've done some coaching in the past over a couple other athletic disciplines so, hell I figure this one could definitely make an important contribution to the community; kids need to know how to swim.

Plus I used to work as a pool and beach guard.... many moons ago but, still have all the qualifications.

What is the qualification necessary to teach classes at a local pool?

I'm not talking about coaching adept swimmers, just bringing folk, be it kids or adult learners, up to a level where they're confident in the water.

I'm unsure of the process but a web browse contends "swim ireland" is the governing body?

Any insights beyond that? Course time period, location, expense etc?

Thank you thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

There are two organisation's in Ireland where you can get a swim Teacher qualification. Swim Ireland and Water Safety Ireland both train swim teachers.

Some pools will accept either qualification, others will only accept one.

Cheers.

When you say "only accept one" as in, that being considered superior?

And that being? (or does it vary from one facility to the next?)

Is there just one training course, or a series to get to a certain level?

i.e. assistent coach, club coach etc.

I'd like to be able to apply in my local area and take classes unassisted, at least ultimately.

I'm not a competitive swimmer any more (haven't been for a long time), so naturally I'm not going to want to get to the level where I'd be coaching real go-getters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

Some only accept one as they may be a pool who do Swim Ireland teacher training courses or Water Safety. Others consider one superior to the other.

Swim Ireland is a statutory organisation, Water Safety is a voluntary one. Both have the aim of teaching children and adults to swim. Swim Ireland courses can be more expensive.

Water Safety Ireland train people to be swim teachers, focusing on lifesaving skills & teach 6 strokes including lifesaving ones. Swim Ireland train people to be swim teachers, with some of their courses geared more towards competitive swimming.

If you check out websites for either organisation or contact there will be courses listed to train you to be a swim teacher. Water safety have a local contact in each county that would have details of courses.

In my view both are equal qualifications to teach people to swim and keep them swimming...hope that helps.

Advertisement