Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired dog fence & collar system for semi-d

Options
  • 19-09-2021 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Has anybody used one of the wired dog collar & fence systems in a semi-detached house and which one did you use and how did you find it? I know you can double over the wire if you can’t do a full loop but there needs to be quite a big gap between the two lengths and our garden isn’t very wide so I don’t want to just leave her running up and down the middle only. Also don’t fancy burying wires up the length of the driveway twice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Really without being nasty these are very cruel and on the one occasion the dog gets away from the device he will keep on running away from your house & away from you better to make a big pen than these.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I agree with the poster above. They're a cruel way to fence in a dog. Think of how you'd feel to get an electrical shock every time you went to do something you enjoy.

Invest in higher fences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭piplip87

Agreed with the above. Either redo the fencing at the front of the house or fence off the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I was also reluctant but our dog was recently run over after dashing out the front door and I don’t think we have any other option. Training has helped reduce the escaping but hasn’t prevented it entirely. Same with more frequent walks. Our kids and their friends come and go a lot during the day so the door gets opened often. We are constantly reminding kids about the front door. Unfortunately the front garden can’t be enclosed so once she’s out the door she’s off. If you have other suggestions I’d love to hear them but I think the wired fence is our last option. It’s become very stressful worrying about it, constantly reminding people to close the door etc. We really noticed how much more relaxed we were when she was at the vet’s after the accident, though of course we are very glad to have her back with us.

So if anybody does have experience with these fences in a semi-d I’d be really grateful to know how you found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Ok so firstly I agree the posters above..

secondly unless you have a semi D that has like an acre around it this fence system won’t work .. it works by the fact that you have like 10 feet radius around the wire ie if the dog is 10 feet from fence it will beep.. then if closer vibrate.. then if really close shocks the dog..

how could you have that much space in semi D?

the dog would only have a tiny space to stand .. wouldn’t be able to move around etc without feeling the effects? While I don’t agree with them they are designed for large spaces - acres people can’t / won’t fence not a normal house that doesn’t make any sense?

honestly after the trauma of getting knocked down this would send the dog over the edge if I’m honest and completely unnecessary

Personally I think you need to address the bigger issue - training the dog and the kids to take responsibility to be honest

how much daily exercise is the dog getting ? And mental stimulation?

• Advertisement

Ok. I can see I’m not going to get the type of advice/ information that I was looking for here. I do appreciate your point about distances, that’s why I was looking for a system that would work for a semi-d. As I said, we have trained her and that has helped a lot but not eliminated the behaviour. She gets plenty of exercise and play but she’s a feisty and intrepid character and is not in the least bit traumatised by her run in with the car. I don’t like the wired fence either but I don’t think it’s worse than having her go under a car again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The problem is you're looking for a solution that don't exist here. Plenty of dogs every year come into rescues with exactly those types of collars on them because they took the one time pain due to what ever was driving them at the time; and they don't return over the line. That's before we talk about the potential trauma and issues related to the idea in the first place that's once again happened to multiple dogs. Putting it up will in no way make sure the dog remains protected; it's simply a gamble if you get lucky or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Would you consider a porch? Can help reduce the likelihood of dogs escaping as kids open the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

OP It roughly at 1 meter proximity to boundary wire these collars warn through a beeping noise they are too close.

is there a side gate with a auto closer to prevent pet from getting to front garden. Would a dog enclosure in back garden help here.

The back garden isn’t a problem. It’s secure and we use a long tether if she’s out there when the side gate is in use. The problem is bolting from the front door which gets a lot of use. The porch idea is a good one but not something we’ll be able to do immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

@houseyhouse I know you aren't getting the answers you want, but potentially that is better investing in the electric collar system and then then fail because one time she was willing to take the shock. But because you had invested in the collar system and trusted it, all the vigilant work you are doing at the moment was reduced, so the number of opportunities for it to be tested increased.

I'm not having a go, it sounds like a right pain in the arse and one you are trying to resolve, but I don't think this is the solution.

I'm guessing its the type of semi d where non of the front lawns are fenced in and there's no front gate? Is it possible to lock the front door and get the teenagers to start using the side gate and back door? As you say that the back garden is secure?

Thanks. It is a pain but I agree that the electric collar isn’t looking like the solution I hoped it would be. I didn’t realise they were so ineffective.

We have a low front wall and gate but she can jump both easily, even though she’s not a big dog. Will look into adding a hedge and getting a taller gate but I’m not convinced it would work because she can also jump into the neighbour’s and they have no gate. Can’t place a hedge there because of the driveway but might be some solution available. Our kids are primary school and under. It’s an estate where young kids play out a lot so they’re in and out all day and there are neighbour kids calling to the door a lot too. Or just inviting themselves in sometimes! It’s lovely for the kids so I’m not complaining. We only recently moved here and we’ve never had this problem before so trying to figure it out. For now, I suppose we’ll just redouble our efforts at training her, more walks/exercise one she’s recuperated, and look into porches/ hedges/different front walls for the long term. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Could you add a fence onto the wall to stop her jumping it? Would a stair gate/safety gate in the doorways before you get to the front door to stop her actually getting to the front door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Or what about a picket fence just surrounding the front door if that's the main problem.... tilll porch arrives

i see you say say side gate not a prob but if it was I was gonna suggest putting in a second one as an interlock setup

They’re also a risk as the dog will have no idea why she’s been shocked and may respond violently. I read an article once where a child had been attacked by a dog wearing one of these collars as the dog just felt a jolt and incorrectly targeted where it thought the jolt came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Remember during the most severe part of lockdown when everyone had cabin fever and were itching to get out? Well this dog has it everyday.

He needs to get out more, alot more, if the dog is outside enough you could leave your door open and he wouldn't be that bothered about trying to get away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Your estate sounds lovely and active. I wonder is see also just seeing that the best craic is outside with the kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

No, I'm sorry but that's nonsense. I have some dogs that would want to be out there all the time no matter how much exercise they get, case in point, one of my Kerry Beagles had done a 5km run, then spent 2 hours in our exercise field playing with the other dogs, I thought she'd sleep for the evening, but a neighbour's collie that is allowed to wander came by and she scaled the 6 foot gate, somehow pulled the fencing on top of the gate in towards her and was gone. She is spayed, so not that, she just wanted to play with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have a baby gate/barrier in our tiny hall so my older boy can snooze and sunbathe in peace without our pup annoying him. Might be worth a try and you'd pick them up /sell them on easily on adverts or local FB pages? I've also used it for some doorbell training too playing the bell on my phone and walking back and forth again and again so it got boring for the pup and he wasn't bothered.

Advertisement