Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it possible to easily add a new circuit for a large induction hob?

• 18-09-2021 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

so I’m moving into a new build and I see from looking at the fuse board and the kitchen that there is a larger cable ran for the oven but only a 13A socket behind the upper space and also behind the hob space.

I would like to have a 7.5kw hob, an oven and a combi microwave.

At the minute it looks like the oven and hob are wired into a 32A MCB but I’m assuming that could be used to wire both an oven and combi microwave at 3.6kw each or 30A together with nothing at the hob socket.

I would be willing to have another cable ran to power the 7.5kw hob, considering the fuse board is only separated by a plasterboard wall at one end, it should be relatively easy to actually route the cable. Photo of the fuse board and the layout - A being the hob location and the fuse board on the other side of the wall at B.

I mentioned this concept to an electrician briefly on the phone and he seemed very hesitant - surely given there is some space on the fuse board another circuit could be added? I’m assuming this would also be done if I decided I wanted to run power to the shed down the road?

is it likely going to be a massive cost to do this type of job?

cheers for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RingSting

"there is a larger cable ran for the oven"

What makes you think that's for the oven ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Maybe because it's sticking out of the oven cavity.

@OP, How is the wiring done for the hob currently - are both hob and oven on the 32A MCB?

We did this recently and it was a much bigger job than yours but the electrician had no problem doing it. We previously had a double oven and hob on one 32A MCB and wanted to change to a single oven and combi microwave. I would probably stick with a double oven in hindsight as the microwave in the combi needs all steel shelves etc removed before it can be used. We ended up with a separate microwave anyway. It is useful having a second full size oven but it would have been cheaper to just buy 2 ovens.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

yeah, I think you can make it out in the photo above.

thanks db, yeah it seems from the fuse board at least that the hob and oven are on the same 32A mcb which obviously isn’t a runner…

good to know it can be done, considering the placement of the fuse board I would have though it should be a very straightforward job actually - thanks a mill, I’ll have a chat to electricians and see how we go.

you’re probably right about the combi, but it’s ordered now and realistically we only ever use a microwave for popcorn and the odd soup so I don’t think it’ll be such an inconvenience. Plus it’ll be nice not to have to take up a big chunk of counter space in the utility. I was also limited by the space but I agree 2 ovens is probably a better call all round.

It’s just a pain they seem to have wired the hob for gas only and a socket for the spark, even though that’s advertised nowhere and the showhouse has a ceramic or induction hob. Integrated microwaves are always tiny on their own so was probably never going to bother with one of them…

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RingSting

The "large cable" is for the hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Sorry maybe I’m misunderstanding.

there is only 1 large cable in the oven cavity, one 13A socket for the microwave and one 13A socket at the hob.

no matter what it seems I’m short Amps so will need to add a circuit, the oven is 15A, the combi is 15A so that’s the max you could put on 32A MCB as far as I can tell. That leaves nothing left for the hob either way - hence my question.

the hob alone is about 31A

• Advertisement
Advertisement