Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drips from overflow pipe

Options
  • 17-09-2021 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi

The overflow pipe from the upstairs bathroom drips intermittently.

I have looked at the wc cistern and from what I can see there does not seem to be a problem with the ballcock valve, i.e. when the toilet is flushed the correct amount of water is let in and then it's shut off. 

There is no running water going into the pan.

Yet, because we have a pumped water system (the water tank is in the garage), I can hear the pump going but nobody is using the bathroom upstairs.

I'd appreciate if someone could throw some light on what might be causing the water dripping from the overflow pipe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

I have this problem also, intermittently we have a pool of water outside and wondering what’s causing it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

What exactly is the overflow pipe connected to?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trmartin

The overflow pipe is connected to the WC. It turns out that there is a small drip leak in the water inlet in the cistern, which over a long period of time, e.g. overnight, would build up and cause the water in the cistern to overflow — hence the pool of water outside. As soon as the toilet was flushed, the overflow drip stopped.

It also turns out that the running pump is a separate issue — probably due to a fault in the central heating system.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I'm probably a bit out of touch with modern wc's. Older ones overflowed into the bowl.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

With pumped systems alot of the old toilet ballcocks don't work very well . For now you could potentially replace the rubber washer / diaphragm in your existing ballcock but maybe look at replacing it with one more suited to a boosted system in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement