Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Priority of use from panels

Options
  • 16-09-2021 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have a pv system consisting of panels,inverter,battery,eddie .This is tied to the grid.My issue is that the battery seems to just vary between 97 and 100%SOC.Can someone confirm that the battery should supply power to the house when the panels are not producing power.It seems to me that the battery is just sitting there while there is a demand for power in the house.The Eddie is heating the water until max temperature is reached and then the excess is exported to the grid.I can see this process happening on the solar man app, but Have not seen the battery supply power to the house at any time.I am told by the supplier that this is normal,Ihave my doubts.

All help will be appreciated

PRF

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You are 100% right, the battery should be charged by the PV and then should be "released" back into the house when PV not covering house load eg boiling a kettle or the more obvious night-time. Sounds like your inverter has been set to keep battery at 100% state of charge 24/7, this is also damaging to the battery...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 prf

Thanks for the fast reply,I will contact the supplier to get them back yet again.Is the damage to the battery terminal or just a short term issue?

Thank again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Slave1 is correct. Keeping a battery at 100% charge isn't good for it. it degrades it permanently over time. Seen it first hand with some Bosch bike battery. A short to medium (weeks) probably wouldn't be noticed, but if you kept it for months at that level, you (may) find that it doesn't hold as much charge as it used to. Could be 5-10% or something. I'm guessing a bit and it's also dependent on the temperature of the cells when you had the charge in it. Colder weather (close to 0C for example) hurts it more. I wouldn't be too worried about it if it's only a few weeks, but yeah, you should get that fixed - anyway, you want your battery to do work that's why you bought it!

They are fragile little things :-)

(Actually quite the opposite really, as long as you don't do crazy things repeatedly with them, batteries on the most part are pretty robust for what they do. Amazing piece of technology in there)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 prf

system is only installed 6 weeks,everything seems ok except the battery.Hopefully its only a setting that needs to be put right.Hope to get this sorted soon.The manual is of little use in this situation.

Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If there's any setting to limit the max soc of the battery then I'd recommend setting it to 80-90% to avoid it sitting full

It definitely sounds like your inverter isn't using the battery. Some have a setting to keep the battery charged and only use it in a power outage, might be worth checking this out

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

My suspicion is that the problem is the settings on inverter. On Solis for example you can set reserve capacity or charge timer. I would guess yours is configured to charge 24/7 that would explain this behavior.

Advertisement