Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reducing tax on rental income

• 16-09-2021 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi.

I make a salary of 50k per year in Ireland and have rental income of 32500 here. I find that all of my rental income gets taxed at the higher rate (+40%) as salary and rental income pushes me up to +80k income. Previously employed overseas, and the rental income was taxed at a lower rate as it was my only income here.

Could I set up a company and call it a property investment company? Then my company would be charged at lower rate of tax and my salary would be a separate income? Is this something people do to avoid big tax bill every year?

Thanks. 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

If you do this (sell the property to a company) then the company would indeed be charged a lower tax rate on it's profits than you are charged on your income.

Unfortunately you will pay CGT on the sale at teh current market value of the property (so you can't get away with selling at an unreasonable undervalue.)

The company will be taxed at 12.5% on profits but any money the company passes on to you will be charged as income, so at your marginal tax rate. Cumulatively this means a higher tax burden when you extract money from the company to spend.

When the company eventually sells it pays CGT at 33% and then when it passes money onto you you pay income tax on the income.

There is a reason why everyone isn't doing this, even when the arrange for companies to purchase in the first place to avoid the initial CGT hit. Company will pay less tax than you do, but when you add both sets of taxes the overall hit is higher.

REITs are another story ofc, but even so you are paying income tax on the distributed income. If you were tax resident abroad a REIT would probably make perfect sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭kheb

To add to the above, rental income is taxed at 25% in a company and the close company surcharge will bring it to to be in effect 40% if the income is not distributed so there is very little advantage if any, in moving the property to a company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Very thorough info, thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Contributing as much salary as you can to an approved pension is the easiest way to reduce your tax. What % of your earned income you can contribute depends on your age.

Advertisement