Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

housing list and offered house that i do not want?

• 15-09-2021 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42 tugii20

I live the city centre of Cork and on the housing list for 5 years, today I have received calls from the HAP team who offered me the house in the Mayfield area but I did not click the house on a choice-based system

that I don want to live in that area because the area is a bit unsafe to bring up children. (lots of talking about this area about crimes and other issues)

how can I refuse his offer kindly?

anyone has refused an offer before? if I refuse 2 offers in one year time then do they stop my hap payment?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,744 ✭✭✭✭ rob316

True but there is certain areas in Mayfield you couldn't pay someone to live in and it's the same areas constantly been refused and offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tugii20

just update, HAP staff offered me the council house saying he will arrange for viewing for the next couple of days but he never called me back, so I guess someone has been placed.

Happy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭ dulpit

Being on the housing list doesn't make you a beggar BTW...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭ Sofa King Great

But it also shouldn't allow you be a chooser...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭ Ken Mc Carthy

It's a "saying ", a bit like " you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink" or " never look a gifthorse in the mouth".......other sayings that are relevant to OP's 'pedicament' o

To make it short, the lady texted me yesterday saying the house is still available for viewing and asked me to confirm viewing.

I was shocked that no one has taken that house in Mayfield since the guy called me from the council in September 2021.

so I called the lady and explained that I have changed my preferred area a few weeks ago but she straight away said to me refusal for bidding for the next 12 months(it was said on the citizen information website that if a person refuses flat or house more than one offer in 12 months time then 12 months refusal will be applied). and also told her that I have small children to take care of and I don't want them to group up in the not-safe area.

and she told me that I have clicked bidding around 2020, maybe by accident which I feel not and surprised that no one has been allocated house nearly year now.

I am just wondering if I get refusal on choice-based letting can I still get my hap?

have anyone had a similar experience like me??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,880 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78

arseholes be arseholes!

best of luck op, nothing worse than being unhappy in your home

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ Diziet

Did you even go up and have a look? Lots of people live in Mayfield, it's an established neighbourhood and not 'a bad place to bring up children' apart from some specific pockets of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭ Ken Mc Carthy

Careful there Ted, lots of people may be thinking the same......... but the permanently offended will be outraged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ brainboru1104

I can understand where the op is coming from, I guess. Although Mayfield isn't the worst part of Cork, some of it is actually decent.

I do find it frustrating to read on the other hand, considering how I'm considered a white collar professional and I'm struggling to buy a place right now...

most important thing is security of family and where they grow up, it will affect in bad neighborhood for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭ murph226

I know plenty of great people from Mayfield.

Where are you from originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ Lion Killer

Take it. You can't be fussy in these times. Take whatever you can get

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭ Loueze

Zombie Thread.

Advertisement