Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky Q worse than ever

• 14-09-2021 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭

I know there is probably numerous threads, but has anyone's sky q gone BADLY wrong the last week?

It use to be an odd time, but not a day or should i said hour passes and main box making a noise, mini locked up or screen purple or both

Im waiting on "engineer" to come Thursday so curious to see if anyone has extra issues

Have a mesh wifi system (Deco M4) and have tried it all, the usual that got it going before and now lucky to get 30 minutes to a hour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I have Q and a mini box for over 18 months now and not a blip out of either of them, must be something wrong at your end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

I wish I knew what, had a new box installed 3 years ago with new power supply with box on it that helped

We've Firesticks, tablets, phones, Honeywell heating system all on WiFi no problems

Getting 300 on Firestick so not speed thing

Did you do anything special or are you with sky for broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Is there an LNB available tat will receive both Sky Q and FTA satellite TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭galtee boy

No, Sky installed the Q box, I installed the mini myself about 12 months later and my broadband is with Vodafone, I get 90mb on my line.

I’ve Sky Q for about 5 years without any problem at all and I have Digiweb fttc.

Got rid of Sky Broadband as it’s slow, noticeably poor latency and definitely weaker backhaul compared to either Eir or Digiweb over the same line.

No issues at all using Sky Q with Digiweb and a fritzbox

• Advertisement

Main box doing impression of plane taking off so must be knackered and overheating (out on its own on wooden floor)

Annoying to read people not having any issues and we're plagued with them since day one

Think I'll be pushing to replace boxes for a start

Your HDD is faulty or something's gone wrong with the fans if it's making noise like that.

They should hopefully replace your box

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Don't be afraid to threaten to cancel

'Can't use it like this'

'Not worth it for what we pay'

'We could get a freesat box and have no hassle

'My friend's box is quiet and never restarts, why does mine?'

You pay through the nose for Sky, Don't hang up until they are either sending out someone or a new box.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Yes, search for hybrid LNB, 2x wideband SkyQ outputs and 2 or 4 legacy outputs.

Yeah hes out tomorrow and ill be pushing for two brand new boxes and not listening to any crap about my setup (Deco M4 and NEVER any issues with various smart tech)

I am out of contract as they offered me E5 off a month for a year and had to push to find out was i in or out, so if they come up with a better deal ill go back into contract

Dont see me moving as everyone use to sky and sky q handy (when works) to have multi room with no wiring, plus I get football etc other ways so down to bare minimum so not much movement to be had in reality

• Advertisement

Well he came

Put in two new boxes and the same, even setup a 2.4 only guest network, its your end with deco, go back to old system so

SO after one call basically telling me 20 years customer doesn't mean nothing and engineers not waiting around to fix your problems (but then ok to turn up two hours early), id suggest you do cancel then if sky q wont work

Spent as good as two hours onto a different person and the same again, she tried all the steps etc (i dont know how people with no I.T knowledge manage)

So I took my virgin hub 3 out of modem mode and use that only for wifi for sky boxes (2.4) and then have the deco for all other things

See how it goes, if not, then engineer out Saturday and then if not ring and cancel or attempt to and see if they can put me on the old system as I dont fancy trying to go to virgin as im the only tech minded person so be pestered about using it etc as all new

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Considering that you rent the Sky Q box from them and have to give it back when you cancel, I'd have no qualms about demanding a replacement.

I did get two brand new boxes and basically told it's your fault, fix it or leave

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hero001

A lot of this comes down to the engineer you get. Their training is very basic, and the also get paid a flat rate for each call, so they is pressure to get the call closed and move on, which doesn't help.

That said, I did have a engineer out for what sounds like the same sort of problem in recent weeks. He replaced the main box and reset all wifi settings. My broadband is with Digiweb, so I have the fritzbox with a fritzbox mesh repeater also.

He told me the problem was that the main box was connected to the fritzbox, and the mini box was connected to the repeater and the Q thinks that they are connected to separate devises and that this was the reason for my problem.

He solved it by setup a sky buster box and connecting it to the fritzbox and switching off the mesh repeater. He must have spend 2 hours working on it, and since then we have had no problems, but I am down a mesh repeater, so the wifi signal in parts of the house is not good. I'm going to have to see if I can relocate it away from the mini box.

So far so good

Took the sky off deco and setup Virgin media WiFi 2.4 and only sky on it

Like you I lost out on functions as use to have deco control ip address,dns, high priority and more

All this to watch TV

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

The following two steps seem to have resolved this:

1. Turn off the 2.4 network on the mini boxes - in the engineer's menu (scroll to services in the menu without selecting it, type in 0 0 1 and then select)

2. Reset the broadband network on the main box (the "I do not have Sky BB" way). Then reset it on the mini boxes - it should ask to press the WPS button on the main box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭jos28

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread OP but I'm having problems too. Recently upgraded from Sky HD to Q and I'm sorry I did. It's failed to find a connection more often than not. I never had any issues with the old box but this one rarely works. I use VM broadband and the signal has always been excellent. I've reset it several times. The router is beside the TV. I've been trying to book an engineer without success. I reckon it might be quicker to connect using an ethernet cable myself. Has anyone tried this, is it difficult, did it help with network connection issues ??

If its beside it then yes go with a cable

You MIGHT just plug it in and work ok, try that and see before looking at videos of tech stuff you dont need to do and confusing yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I was having similar problems of continually losing the WiFi connection between SkyQ box and BB router, eventually tried running some TP link over mains wiring for Ethernet and am now running reasonably ok, still get the occasional drop out but usually fixes itself within a minute ( suspect if I went real Ethernet cable rather than TP link that would resolve itself too )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I had the same issue with my Sky+HD box (haven't moved to q yet). A simple Ethernet cable to the Deco AP sorted it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gleisweiler

I am now on my 3rd Sky Q mini box. Each time they worked for a time and then failed or didn't connect to the TV. The TV is not the problem but like some of the guys above I'm at the end of my tether. The Mini boxes were send by mail/courier and it was a matter of installing them myself as they didn't have an engineer (?) they didn't work, of course and they were not doing home visits because of Covid, but maybe this has changed now. I insisted that someone came to install the third box and I asked a few questions about the software to which he answered "I don't know I just install the boxes" I've tried in vain to get the Booster running but apart from hooking it up via cable to the Modem (which is too far from my multiroom set up) it won't connect. Tomorrow, I will phone Sky once again and hopefully I'll get someone to come and fix my problem. At the age of 81 I can do without this ****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭swoofer

Did you have any joy with SKY? And have you tried WPS when trying to coonect?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

In a similar boat to OP. We're on our 3rd Sky Q main box and 2nd mini box.

They never liked mesh networks and would frequently disconnect. Now have them wired so it's better, but the main box has to be switched off at the plug every day as it won't just turn on by itself.

There's also a black screen issue with LG TVs.

Hoping they update the hardware soon as box swaps are painful (losing recorded content)

Advertisement