Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child Benefit

• 14-09-2021 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

I am an Irish Citizen living in the EU (Not Ireland) with 2 kids (also Irish passport holders)

I was listening to Niall Boylann and seems it's possible for me to claim child benefit from Ireland ?

Is this possible ? surely I would need to be living in Ireland, or do I just need to reside in the EU.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 OscarBluth

Do you, or the child's other parent, work in Ireland? Or do you work in the country you're resident in?

Short answer is no, I can't see how you would be eligible. Child benefit is based on residence.

The only way you would be eligible as far as I'm aware is if one or other of you was commuting to Ireland to work from where you live, and the other one wasn't working (though I'm not 100% sure on this last point.) My experience was based on one parent commuting to work across the border in the North - so the UK - and one working here. Dept of Social Protection needed proof of the parent working in Ireland's employment, because if they didn't work in Ireland, then despite the child and parents living in Ireland the child benefit should be claimed from the UK based on the other parent's employment there. (This was back when the UK were still in the EU) Obviously child benefit is higher in Ireland than the UK so we never looked into whether we could 'choose' which country we could get it from.

Mostly these entitlements are based on residence or employment status, not citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Thanks,

Yes my example was a Polish lad that has kids in Poland - but he works and lives in Ireland.

As I am living in Spain with my kids , not eligible even as an Irish citizen - fair enough, thought it would be worth looking into tho :)

Advertisement