Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan Turns on but not PC & Monitors

Options
  • 14-09-2021 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Bought desktop PC online from UK distributor last year during lockdown don't have specs need to locate them and distributer, but got their name from here. Using it for WFH

Everything working ok until recently when I turned it on the fan came on and not the monitor and PC. Kept on turning it on and off and eventually it would kick in

Left it into local service and they stripped it down cleaned it etc and updated BIOS and said it booted up ok. So last night no problem and this morning ok. However I had to reboot and same issue. Unplugged the power cable left it for a while and rebooted and kicked in

Before I go back to local service place saying issue still happening what could be the causes and what can I ask them as to what exactly they checked etc and are there other solutions as I paid them enough to fix it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Can anyoe assist with this

Dropped it in for repair and they are saying its an issues with the motherboard which seems to be weird or is that correct?

Anything that I can email and ask them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'd be inclined to agree that the board is becoming flaky.

It's getting basic power, hence the fans turn on, but the BIOS isn't initializing, and running through POST. But it doesn't seem to the config stored in the BIOS, or else it'd be behaving consistently, and the BIOS update would probably have fixed it, and reset any stored values.

If a capacitor was dying, it could explain why the behaviour changes over time, as it either holds charge or it dissipates. But that's a bit speculative.

Only way to make really sure is to systematically remove each component and test in a known good machine.

Got it less than a year ago from AWD so should be under guarantee but pain in the A returning it to Uk

Below is set up so if replacing mother board what's best to get for non gamer,but want something decent

Also they are expensive I take it?

ITEM DESCRIPTION

AWD Falcon Ryzen 5 3400G with VEGA Graphics PC For Gaming AWD FALCON RYZEN 5 3400G WITH VEGA GRAPHICS PC FOR GAMING

FL4-M37-FAL1

OPTIONS:

GAME FASTER - BUILD TIME: STANDARD BUILD TIME - 7-10 WORKING DAYS (MON - FRI)

PC MEMORY UPGRADE DUAL DDR4 : ** SPECIAL OFFER ** ADATA SPECTRIX D60G RGB 16GB (2X8GB) 3600MHZ DDR4

CHOOSE YOUR CASE: GAMEMAX FALCON BLACK/BLUE

CHOOSE YOUR PSU: CORSAIR CV450 BRONZE RATED

CHOOSE YOUR MOTHERBOARD: ASUS A320M-R

CHOOSE YOUR GRAPHICS CARD: APU VEGA GRAPHICS

CHOOSE YOUR PRIMARY HARD DRIVE: ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB NVME M.2 SSD - READ 3500MB/S , WRITE 3000MB/S

CHOOSE YOUR SECONDARY HARD DRIVE: NO DRIVE

CHOOSE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM: MICROSOFT WINDOWS 10 64 BIT - INSTALLED AND FULLY OPTIMISED **SPECIAL OFFER **

CHOOSE YOUR INTERNET SECURITY PACKAGE: NO INTERNET SECURITY

CHOOSE YOUR WIFI: 1200MBPS DUAL BAND INTERNAL DUAL ANTENNA WIFI CARD

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

One of those boards is about €60 to €70 for a brand new one off Amazon, which is probably less than the shipping cost.

Is there anyway AWD would open to sending a replacement board alone?

• Advertisement

IS this motherboard better or worse than the one that's installed or just the same ?Also take it that its compatible ?

Dont want to downgrade motherboard if buying it

It's compatible, it's the same chipset, AMD A320, and same socket AM4.

I'd argue it's slightly better as it has an added expansion slot.

ok was watching you tube and monitor went off and cannot boot pc back up. Lights coming on in desktop but nada on sce

Anyone got any recommendations for where I can repair this and possibly update it..

Living in Dublin northside

On this

Had to drop in for repair and was told that the BIOS had to be updated. As self built they had to download it from vendor and update it

Is this and easy thing to do if it happens again and I can load it from another PC or best to leave in the hands of experts?

Updating the BIOS is usually fairly simple. Copy a file to a FAT32 formatted USB key, and either select the image in the BIOS update tool, (if reachable), or make use of any recovery/flashback option. If neither are reachable, there's other options, but they're not for home users.

• Advertisement
Advertisement