Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Low use jeep needed

• 13-09-2021 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Based in Clare and looking for a jeep for occasional moving of horsebox, cattle box

I am looking for 06 to 08. Was focusing on hiluxes and landcruisers but is there anything else you could recommend?

Budget is around 8500

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Dmax. Savagely reliable if not the most comfortable of the pickups. I do 15000 miles a year in one and have no issues with comfort or reliability. It's an 06 and has cost virtually nothing in repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Charolois 19

Have a discovery 3 here, been honest it's my private and farming wagon, Pay no heed of all the talk of them been money pits, mine tows like a train and a higher towing capacity than a land cruiser ( open to correction on that was the cpc instructor said it to me) had a few of them with no problems. this one 5 years and all she got was an alternator and regular service, probably doing 27ish with trailer to the gallon 32/33 without. And when I decide to change will be another one, altho hopefully a 4 next time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

03 landcruiser 95 here. I paid 7500 for it 6/7 years ago with 95k. On 145 now so it does small miles. Even though it had a perfect service history when I got it, it still relieves me of about €1000 a year in maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Most that are farming do cost that a year .

A friend has a 10 dmax . Tgat would be up and down cow passages a lot and it suffers as a result.

Ball joints , universal joints in the drive shafts , brakes, shocks , rubber mounts for shocks , broken leaf springs are the things that seem to need attention for the test.

We normally do the work ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭irishguy19772

What ye make of. Ford kuga? No off road stuff and think I would be covered with pulling 1 horse and box or 1 cow and box towing weight wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have a Kuga 4 years.

tow double horsebox, 8*5 cattle trailer. Really good “car” to tow. I’ve towed our caravan down to the alps and back with it no problems at all.

Thanks Brian. Was looking at towing capacity and it is 1500 kg. Pulling a 505 horse trailer which is around 900 kg and I reckon I am fine for a mare and foal for around the 600kg.

Will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Just bought a 181 DMAX. I love it more than my wife and just below my kids.

Version I have has nice spec inside bit there basic ones would do

There are some 08 and 09 Dmax out there on dung deal. Some very clean. Single cab are particularly reasonably priced

Just a word to the wise. If your horsebox is the same as ours..ie 2700kg capacity- you're over the permitted towing capacity of the Kuga which is about 2000kg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I have leaf springs on my 08 hilux, are they a good job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I find the more weight on the bed the better they work

Generally a leaf goes every year on ours, but we do be pulling 1/2 full loads on bad roads with no weight on the bed

It’s the disadvantage of the pickup

I have a 505 ifor Williams box. Looked up weight and was 900kg roughly unloaded.

Yes. But that's not the weight that's considered. It's the gross vehicle weight, which essentially it the total potential weight of the trailer.. ie when full. So towing an empty horsebox, while you're under the weight the guard will be looking for the GVM weight

(Not to mention, you would need a BE licence to tow this trailer - the Gross weight of car and trailer would be over 3500kg)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

This is correct Irishguy. It’s not the weight of what’s actually in the trailer they look at, unless they think you’re overloaded, but the weight the trailer is designed to carry.

In the case of your trailer that will be somewhere about 2700kg’s. So technically a Kuga cannot legally pull that trailer even if the trailer’s empty.

Now I’ve never seen the guards to be over rigorous in enforcing that but like everything it’s all ok until there’s an accident or something like that. An insurance company will always look for any kind of technicality to get out of paying out on a claim.

Yea.

ive no BE either so I’m flying the wrong side anyway 🙄

Yea, I fully understand how the system works. I’m breaking the law, I know that.

Yea I’d say 90% of jeeps and trailers on the road are breaking the law in one way or another. I think unless you’re really taking the p**s the guards seem to just turn a blind eye. Stick to the speed limit and keep the jeep and trailer in reasonably good condition and you’ll never be noticed.

Yeah. Anyone with a Landcruiser and a 3.5 tonne livestock or plant trailer are overweight. I didn't realise it, but Landcruisers short or long wheelbase only have a towing capacity of 3000kg which rules out alot of common trailers.

As you said, there are countless numbers breaking the law. My only concern would be in the case of an accident. Insurance companies might look for any reason to not pay your damages..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I think the older pre 03 models had a towing rate of 3500kg but were down graded to 3000kg and possibly 2500kg afterwards in later models. 3000kg isn't a whole pile when you're hauling livestock especially cattle, any decent trailer is a tonne or more before you start.

Yea I think an I for Williams 12 x 6 is about 1200kgs empty. That leaves you with 1800kgs for your load so 3 stores is all you’re legally allowed into it.

• Advertisement

Between 1050 and 1250, the latter if its tri axle.

The irony of a tri axle is you can carry less weight even though its more stable on the road. Ultimately its the weight of the 2 wheels and the axles and leaf springs that increases trailer weight and therefore decreases payload

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You're correct- but on the licencing end it's definitely Max authorised mass.. so if you're pulling a 3500kg trailer empty on a small suv and don't have a BE licence even though you're not over the combined weight if you were weighed, the MAM of the trailer is considered not the actural weight of the trailer

At this stage if you are towing a braked trailer you need a BE Lucien e anyway. The reason is the 3.5 T limit is so good day to breach anyway. Any SUV that will pull 2T will be over 2T laden a Kuga is 2.13 T gross weight. At that stage an empty trailer has you at 3T anyway.

I would presume anyone towing a cattle trailer has a BE licience, I think it an automatic 5 points if you are caught towing a trailer that requires it without one.

Slava Ukrainii

For a farmer the braked trailer is probably a fair benchmark but it's not the brakes that set the limit. In practice it is for most farmers, but your standard SUV can pull most single axle caravans which will still be under the 3500kg limit...just ..and are designed to be so

Reality is, most farmers have trailers between 2 and the 3500kg tonne limit.. reality is most farmers need the BE... do most have it? Doubt it to he honest

Most single axle caravans are braked too.

am waiting a long time on BE test, covid has made terrible delays.

see in the U.K. they went back to giving the BE to everyone as of 20th sept without a test, it’s automatic with the B

All caravans are braked as they will be over 750kg bar its some sort of camping tent type thing

Yes. Very envious of UK drivers on this one. I'm in the process of getting the licence too

Any unbraked trailer is limited to 750 kgs therefore you cannot use one to carry stock to any great extent. I be surprised if most lads do not have a BE licience at this stage. Most farmers in there 50's would have it automatically if they applied when the new licience came in back in the 90's, there was even amnesty after and lads got a second bite of the cherry.

Slava Ukrainii

I’m not quite 50, missed the automatic BE by short time.

id say the number of lads under 50 with BE is small enough. Less than half I’d say. I know of my peers I’m friendly with one has done the BE test and most surprised I’ve applied.

watching the Garda Twitter page it does come up but typically the person has been stopped for speeding, poor loading, no lights etc first. Guard said to me one day if your going abkut your business and looking like your right your very unlikely to be stopped. Have gone through many checkpoints here and in France with the caravan and never ever asked about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'd say the number of lads under 50 with a BE license is more like 20% lol. I know I'm guilty ha, but at the point now where I avoid pulling a trailer as much as I can, sell calves out of the yard, lorry to the mart with cows etc.

Advertisement