Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What FTA channels are available after Sky Q?

• 13-09-2021 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭

After the contract is up for Sky Q what FTA channels are available?

In days of old lots of free channels were available using the Sky+ boxes but Im not sure what the position is now with Sky Q.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

With Sky Q you’ve to give the box back if you cancel, you only rent it. With previous Sky tech you owned the box but since Sky Q was introduced it is now rented (doesn’t stop them charging you a hefty “upgrade fee” though in some instances).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yeah Im aware of the need to return the Q box when the contract is up. But I understand a dish is also being fitted (first time customer) so Im wondering if said dish can be used to get FTA channels when the box is returned?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭swoofer

You will have to change the LNB as well unless they fit a hybrid lnb that will have legacy ports.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The answer is yes, subject to several caveats;

• You might have thought ahead and requested a hybrid LNB.
    • You replace the LNB yourself
    • You replace the Sky box with an Arris Freesat 4K receiver (the only one that will work with a wideband LNB)

The fact that you had Sky Q won’t effect what channels you can receive with your new solution.

So is it just a case of changing the lnb? Would that be sufficient then to get the FTA channels or is there anything else I should watch out for? There is an old Sky+ box somewhere in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

An alternative to changing the LNB is to instead buy a current generation official Freesat box, these will work with existing setup, you can get a non recordable version and recordable versions. Amazon, Argos UK and Richersounds stock them...

Here's a list of the channels you will get...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_Astra_28.2%C2%B0E_(Ireland_and_the_United_Kingdom)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭swoofer

Look at the lnb and if it has 6 outputs then it will be ok. using an old sky + box can mean 2 things, if its very old it will only pick up SD channels and if its the HD box then it will need a UK freesat card to get the Free to air channels. These cards used to be on adverts ie or done deal. Very cheap.

Thanks guys for all the replies.

Its actually my daughter who is getting Sky installed on Friday next. I never had SkyQ myself so couldnt really help her with the couple of questions she had. She was trying to keep her options open wrt the end of contract. As I see it now she can (if she leaves Sky in a year from now) look about getting the lnb replaced and use an old Sky+ box with a Freesat card ... I have a couple of those cards here or she can keep the dish and lnb as it is and buy an official Freesat box.

I might pop over on Friday when the installer is there and speak nice to him in the hope he will fit one of the hybrid lnb's.

Forgot to add that this is a first time installation so everything including dish will be new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Just a reminder that not all FTA channels are available on FreeSat, especially CH4 HD. Likewise Irish channels are not FTA on the UK satellites. A hybrid LNB would open the options to get a combo box for full access to all satellite FTA and terrestrial versions of the Irish channels. The hybrid also gives the option for 2 FTA boxes in other locations while still using Sky Q.

That said replacing an LNB when the time comes is a fairly simple DIY job if you have safe, easy access to the dish.

• Advertisement

Thanks Gerry. Much appreciated.

Advertisement