Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house without losing disability allowance

Options
  • 13-09-2021 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi folks

Just wondering is it possible to buy a house but without losing your disability allowance?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Deleted for reasons Below

Post edited by Dempo1 on

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Are you asking on behalf of the person who keeps opening new accounts here then sends me unsolicited pms asking questions they won’t post on the thread in case social welfare sees?

First they were inheriting money and a site and wanted to build a house, then they wanted to sell the site and buy a house. After that they wanted to put a camper van on the site and call it their primary residence and lastly they wanted to get a bank overdraft to build a house and have a family member go guarantor on it and pay they back from a future inheritance. If you are this this person the issue with DA is not buying or building a house. The issue is receiving the inheritance. If the person is still alive and well can they not build/buy the house and gift it to you. You will have to pay inheritance/gift tax anyway regardless of when you get the inheritance/gift. There is no difference between the two.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The OP is genuine here

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are you talking about

• buying one with getting a mortgage
    • buying one with fully declared funds
    • buying one with undeclared funds that literally came out of a magic fountain at the bottom of your garden.

If the funds were previously declared there should be no issue, with the other options it's highly unlikely you will have any chance of purchasing without running in to problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Night owl gal

Hi all, OP here

is a genuine question

I'm talking about buying one with getting a mortgage

For the initial buying of the house, would I run into problems if the money wasn't my own (ie a family member brought the house/paid for it) as I wouldn't be able to pay for the initial sale on my own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If somebody else buys you a house, and gifts it to you, you may be liable to CAT.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Capital acquisitions tax, have you asked citizens information about this?.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks for that😀 No I haven't. I did a bit of googling but wasn't having much luck with that, so decided to ask here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m aware of a case of a vulnerable lady who was bought a house by a family member . She received a letter threatening to stop her payment but when the circumstances were outlines I believe the situation was resolved

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If you are paying back the family member the money they give you then it’s a loan not a gift and there would be no CAT to pay.

Advertisement