Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky or Virgin

• 13-09-2021 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

looking to get one of the above for my apartment, I already have the Virgin broadband in and use IPTV but I am giving in on this and will be going for a "proper" solution.

Looking for some advice though, which overall is the "best" one to get, I am mainly after Sports as movies I get from a variety of other sources and I do like the UHD / FHD broadcasts...

If anyone has some experience or thoughts they would be greatly appreciated as I want to get this in, this week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

After chatting with Sky they've stated this apartment building is not wired for a shared dish, which is a big surprise / disappointment.

So it is Virgin I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Pity. Virgin's television service is woeful especially where sport is concerned.

I'm going to check this a little further as I've been informed that the building could well be wired for Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Can you get bt sports on Virgin?

Tried to sign up earlier and didn’t see the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

If you can wait a little longer, Sky have launched a dish-less "Sky Q" box / solution in Germany.

Possibility they'll be releasing it in their other markets soon!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sky for TV most definitely

Virgin broadband is good imo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nope. Dropped when eir and Virgin were rowing and never reappeared, even after Sky took over wholesaling BT.

One major thing to watch in Irish sports rights over the next couple of months is that this is the last season of Sky’s current distribution agreements (where they have complete control over the wholesale rights in the ROI market) for both BT Sport and Premier Sports, both expiring on 31st July 2022.

Launched previously in Austria as SkyX and also trialed in Italy. Some rumours that it’s being trialed in England.

A warning for anyone expecting the same service as Sky Q, this looks and feels like SkyQ but feature wise is nearer to Now TV - in particular there’s no PVR features. I know some people think PVR is passé in the streaming era but I couldn’t live without Live Pause, it’s a killer app for me and anecdotally I know I’m not the only one who thinks that.

Was able to order Sky in the end, the building was prewired for a satellite service, their record simply did not indicate this

65 a month with all sports and HD / UHD, exactly what I was looking for on a Q box.

Advertisement