Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good physio in Drogheda for shoulder injury?

Options
  • 12-09-2021 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good physiotherapist in Drogheda, specifically someone who's good at treating shoulder injuries? I injured my shoulder in the gym, need someone to sort it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

I can recommend John O Brien, who is a physical therapist (not the same as a physio, I understand). He sorted a shoulder injury for me a couple of years ago.

He's based near the Boyne Centre, on Bolton St. Look for Boyne Physical Therapy

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Thanks Gipi. I'll give him a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

No - he’s not a physical therapist. For the past number of years the titles of Physiotherapist and Physical Therapists have been protected. No one may call themselves either of those unless they are registered with Coru.

This person you mention is not registered with Coru. The purpose of Coru is the protect the public. Therefore OP, you should be aware that this person is Drogheda has not met the high standards required to care for and treat the public that physiotherapists/physical therapists do.

Though his name or title is not on the bounce therapy centre website, it is on linkedin. we will see if Coru think that the addition of the word ‘neuromusculoskeletal’ before physical therapist is consistent with the law or not. Bearing in mind of course that (nearly) all physical therapy relates to neuro - musculo - skeletal system.

If you wish for a qualified and registered physiotherapist to treat please select any of the many physiotherapists in Drogheda that can care for you.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=drogheda+physio&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-ie&client=safari

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Thanks Karlitob - really useful info there. I'll have to do my research.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Mick Fanning in Physio Performance at M1 Retail Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Webmechanic

Just my tuppence worth. :)

The CORU register was started in 2018 with the laudable intention of regulating all health and social care professions. However, they started with a small selection of professions (mainly those that you would find in public hospitals) and have been steadily widening the list of professions to come under their umbrella on an ongoing basis. People who qualify under different titles (neuromuscular massage therapists like John O'Brien cannot currently register with CORU until the organisation that currently oversees their qualifications, ANMT, have completed negotiations to have their profession regulated under CORU. It's an ongoing process.

For myself, I've been to John O'Brien among others in Drogheda and would have no hesitation in going back to him as I (personally) found him better than anyone else I'd been to - many of whom are now registered with CORU (physical therapy register having only opened this year). Incidentally, LAYA Healthcare recognise ANMT professionals and offer indemnity etc., which I'm fairly sure they wouldn't if they saw them as quacks.

CORU isn't, yet, a definitive list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

This is not an accurate reflection of the current situation.

The Physiotherapy Registration Board opened for applications in 2016 and opened in 2018. Physiotherapy and Physical Therapists have always been interchangeable titles. Some professions tried to separate physiotherapists apart by trying to take the title for themselves only. Finally - after 30 years of advocating the legislature - these titles are protected and interchangeable.

People who undertook courses by the IAPT have been grandfathered in and are only allowed practice within their clinical scope. This grandfathering arrangement ended in 2019.

All persons who wish to apply and be accepted on the register must reach a certain standard. For all practical purposes, this standard is an graduate from an Irish Physiotherapy school.

An ANMT are not comparable to a graduate from an Irish Physiotherapy school for the simple reason that they do not have the same scope of practice as is required to get on the register - they have no training in respiratory or neurological diseases and their scope of training in musculoskeletal diseases are not as wide.

You are likely confused with the engagement that complementary therapists are beginning to have their profession regulated.

Coru is in place to protect patients by registering Practicioners. It does not say that it protects patients by registering Practicioners and some other ones that we don’t know about but some lad on the internet says is good and only for bureaucratic delay an entire profession would be registered.

I repeat what I say above - This person you mention is not registered with Coru. The purpose of Coru is the protect the public. Therefore OP, you should be aware that this person is Drogheda has not met the high standards required to care for and treat the public that physiotherapists/physical therapists do.

An insurance company is not a proxy for professional regulation. You can trust that if you wish. But that’s the job of Coru - it’s far wider, sets the standards, assess all applicants and reviews fitness to practice cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kitt89

Hi, Physiotherapy is a good choice. Most commonly a pulled muscle or ligament sprain is the cause of shoulder injuries.

You can try your local directories to find the nearest physio center. I have been doing physiotherapy sections for almost three months and I found my physio from a local directory. Make sure to choose a registered physio with experience.

Advertisement