Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is the soccer world ignoring the Ronaldo story ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Max Rushden at the Guardian did a decent piece on this a few days ago... not just on this subject, but on the conversation itself and how its approached (or not) in football.

Just in general, football is really bad at talking about this stuff. The Neymar one is the same - dropped completely by Nike (what should be a pretty huge story even just on its own!) after allegations of sexual misconduct towards one of their staff, and after him actively obstructing the case (much like Ronaldo in this instance). As the Rushden piece mentions, the Kingsley Coman thing never really gets mentioned either, despite having admitted guilt. Somewhat similar to the issues around sportwashing, football (and a majority of fans) seem very ready to turn a blind eye to aspects it finds distasteful, putting the value of 'escape' ahead of real world consequences.

I had read that but wasn’t too impressed.

He said something without saying anything really. I’ll read it again now though.

It would be nice to know how supported the journalists or pundits are by their employers.

If you work for the BBC or Sky, for example, but don’t want to cover games that involve M United will you be encouraged to do so or are you risking your job.

There must be plenty of journalists, pundits, commentators, and so on, that don’t want to cover his games while these accusations hang over him.

I will be especially disappointed if I see females, working in the industry, willing to turn a blind eye too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, it's more of a question asker than answerer alright, but I appreciated that he put something out there that shone a light on the subject at least. I can forgive the possible lack of real depth in this instance too, since he's spending 2 weeks locked in a small room with his wife quarantining to enter Australia at the moment :p

<edit>

I don't think i'd be harsher on women in the industry than men though - i know where you're coming from, but that lets the guys off the hook a little bit, when it's a subject I think everyone has equal responsibility to address.

Yeah. I definitely wasn’t poo pooing the article but I would have liked to read some possible solutions.

It’s much better to have people writing about it than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I don't care much about what players do off the field but this kind of incident is completely unacceptable. I don't know what happened that night so won't pretend I'm 100% on either side but the fact that it's not discussed more openly is almost as bad as the despicable act itself. A day in court likely won't happen and that irks me. This should not be swept under the carpet, regardless of who the player is. This needs to be discussed and at the very least it might discourage future incidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

an equally pertinant question is why have YOU ignored it for 12 years? did you not have a mother, sister etc then as well?

I mean, we all know the answer so that's as much airtime as I'm going to give this thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: Op starts a conversation asking posters to post in a certain way while posting categorically that a crime took place. That in itself would get a thread locked but since boards can't host such claims thread was always destined to be locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement