Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harbour view road new junction layout

Options
  • 11-09-2021 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭

First time driving through this after the council (finally) resufaced this part of the road. Better late than never, this was in absolute bits for years.

So I am wondering why am I facing the oncoming traffic. Surely this isn't right.

so everyone driving through here has to drive around oncoming traffic. And if there's no traffic you can use a bit of that lane if you're lazy, like the guy here. I do it too, many people do it. Because it's a dumb layout.

Here, at this red light we were waiting for like one and half minute for the green light, queue of 10 cars. Technically anyone turning left should wait in the queue and once they get to the turning lane they can turn. Nobody has time and patience to wait in traffic so a cycling lane has to do. It was way better before, it made sense before. Now it's a mess.

But no, now there is a piece of footpath ahead in the road for no reason.

Over here, the bend is too tight. Way too tight for buses and lorries.

An extra bit of road here. Strange. Could've used it further up and make the footpath in that corner smaller.. well.. too late now...

I guess they were in a hurry and didn't bother finishing the job when painting the lines.

Hopefully they paint the lines further up so it's even worse then. So people will have less space to turn. That would be absolutely perfect if they could do that. As close to the pedestrian crossing as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

very bad design and very dangerous.it looks like it was thought out by a 2 year old having bad dream.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Technically anyone turning left should wait in the queue and once they get to the turning lane they can turn. Nobody has time and patience to wait in traffic so a cycling lane has to do. 

And you were wondering in your other thread why bollards might be necessary in cycle lanes to protect cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Tell me you're a bad motorist without telling me you're a bad motorist.

Imagine having to wait for a minute and a half at a red light. I'd be onto my local councillors about that.

I'd also be onto my mechanic if my car had trouble veering left to follow a new road layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

they made it worse, lorries and buses don't have enough space now... Geniuses at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Those posts will have the added benefit of preventing people parking on the footpaths, which appears to be culturally ingrained, up there.

Great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah I drove through this yesterday and find it very confusing.

Advertisement