Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prediction for the 21st century

Options
  • 11-09-2021 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Rise in polygamous relationships and the growth of harems. Handsome successful men will be modern day Ghengis Khan's. Good luck to sub 7 males for the rest of the century!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In response to the above: hardly a new idea, Google "hypergamy" and see what comes back (pro and con).

My prediction: the return, to be welcomed by many, of a modern Feudalism. Companies like Amazon, Google and Apple are now so wealthy that it would not be a huge step for them to offer "cradle to grave" services to their employees, services such as housing and healthcare. There could be conditions attached, such as abstinence from drugs and "low class" behaviour in general. If you get in, you'd be set for life unless you screw it up.

PS: Wikipedia calls this general idea Neo-Feudalism.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mars landing in the final few years of this century

Do you actually want predictions or is this just another one of your threads lashing out at your self perceived issues with male mating success?

As someone in a polymagous relationship I can tell you there is nothing about our life or experience that recommends itself to the masses and is suddenly going to become the done thing over night. Or over a century :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'd say we'll have landed on Mars before Mayo next win the All Ireland...

• Advertisement

Everyone posting on this thread to die, except one person 🙃😀

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Prediction: A new Luddite movement will begin for people who fear Automation. As humans delve deeper into studying Robotics and Artificial Inteligence, people will fear for their jobs and start lashing out at technology. We'll probably see protests and people smashing up businesses that use computers and robots. There is already some paranoia about automation today so I can only imagine it will get worse as we become more advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭seenitall

I have met a couple of men by now who in all seriousness believe that the AI is eventually going to take over and rule us. One is pretty obsessed with the idea. I don’t think such a scenario is likely because at the end of the day a programme, however sophisticated, is still only a programme. I think that the human brain has infinitely more capacity to problem solve by thinking laterally and out-of-the-box than any Skynet.

Politically, I think this century is doing the same old circular dance that all the other 20 have danced so far, ending in the same outcomes. Humans are arrogant and stubborn and absolutely refuse to learn anything from history, time and time again. So no big surprises there, I would think.

Flying bicycles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

A massive reduction/end to animal ag. A change over to lab grown meat/veganism.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Gossamer Albatross crossed the English Channel back in 1979

But this looks like less effort https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Dwarf_(dirigible)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭the-island-man

Shoot me now! All that sounds great and it all depends on what role you're in but while those three companies are always in the news and seen as cutting edge they also all know how to get their pound of flesh from an Employee. Google are known for having a culture which makes it very hard for employees to leave the office and Amazon are effectively an e-commerce site, if anything goes wrong you're not getting out of there until it's fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's starting already: Amazon’s New ‘Factory Towns’ Will Lift the Working Class:

These new factory towns will presumably have new issues that need addressing, such as adequate amounts of housing, schools and healthcare facilities. But the point is that we need to be thinking about what sorts of communities are being created by the growth of U.S. e-commerce infrastructure, and what they’ll need to thrive. To urbanists, contemplating the potential of the area surrounding Interstate 75 in Ocala, Florida, outside of Orlando might not be as sexy as upzoning and building transit in San Francisco, but it's these types of new communities that are going to be the future of a large segment of the working class.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Climate change, food shortages, resource wars, migration of billions of people, the amazon forest to be completely gone, water shortages worldwide, absolute f*cking chaos is all I can see coming sooner or later.

I expect people to eventually adapt to the fact that the world isnt perfect and get used to the internet demanding you pay full attention to that fact all day every day, and probably chill out a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've honestly been having the best days of my life lately but let's face it all the things I've listed are inevitable this century

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

we have about 8 years to tackle climate change, global warming,.they may be wars caused by water shortages,drought, or millions of people will move as certain countrys will have not enough water to keep the present population alive .Look at america, certain states are now in a cycle of drought, mega fires , or floods .extreme events are now common.And of course basic food products are rising in price due to supply chain shortages .

we will need massive international cooperation and More aid to various countrys or else we will face chaos .meanwhile china ,russia and the eu are in competition in a kind of cold war .russia is a haven for hackers who are hacking companys and government bodys .meanwhile gen z are struggling with rising rents and a housing crisis .meanwhile the world depends on the amazon which is under the control of a an extreme right wing government which is destroying the environment .its very hard to be optimistic .and the government is thinking of increasing prsi rates to pay for the pensions of future baby boomers who will be retiring in a few years

• Advertisement
Advertisement