Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose slats..

Options
  • 11-09-2021 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

I've a couple of loose rocky slats , noticible when walking on them.. not crazy movement..

Would it bother ya.... should I get them sorted ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Drop a bit of sand under them to stop the rocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I would have thought they would have been caked in sh*t and this take the rattle out of them....

Are you saying to lift out slat and layer a bit of sand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have the same here with a year or 2 ,meaning to go into tank when empty and wedge a bit of slate under if I can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Is it safe getting into a tank when it’s empty? There’ll still be a foot of slurry in it. Could there not still be a risk of gases?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Shouldn't need to go into the tank. Just lift them and work at surface - will be no agitating of the tank involved. Unless it is a full gang slat. In which case it is a much bigger job and you'd want something more permanent than sand.

We have used a hand full of sand on the support beam/wall in the past when there was a slight wobble in the slats. These were multipurpose slats and a subtle person could raise them. However, if more of a wobble than that then using slate would be a better option - and longer lasting too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

The tank was agitated & emptied months ago.

I presume there will be at least a foot of slurry still down there, Is it safe to go down with a ladder and sort it out?

I have no way of lifting them out, but could put it on the list for the digger I hire in most years I suppose.. .Or get in a passing slat truck..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

Not safe in the least, noxious gases can still hover just above the slurry they say. Do it professionally, don't you (or your family) be sorry for taking shortcuts to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It not just slurry gas you have to be careful with in an empty tank. Carbon monoxide is heavier than air. It is basically the fumes out if the exhaust of tractors and cars. It will sink into tanks. There could be a nice bit of that in the tank.

As it's a few months the slurry could be crusted over and gas trapped between crust and slurry. As you move along you will release that gas.

If you can hire a breathing apparatus and an air tank similar to what a diver uses is the only way I would go down into a tank

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement