Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kill Weeds

Options
  • 10-09-2021 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi All,

I'm starting to "dig up" the ground in the polytunnel and put in raised beds - the previous owner just has the soil there and planting directly into it. As part of this I'm digging up about a foot or so of the soil, put it through a garden sieve and then store in coal sacks until I'm ready to put in the raised bed (coal sacks are clean from coal). I'll be laying cardboard down in the raised beds then I was going to add this soil, compost and some nutrients when adding back into the raised beds.

Is there a way to kill of the weeds that will be "waiting" in the soil in the coal sacks. I've heard of using the sun and plastic, but that ship has sailed now that summer is over. I've also heard about steaming the soil or running a few boiled kettles over the soil (I'm presuming the sacks will allow the water out). Can this be done or is it just a case of put up with the weeds and nab them before they get too big.

Also has anyone used the Ikea bags for growing...was going to try spuds, garlic and onions in these

thanks in advance

Advertisement