Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a router to replace eir router

Options
  • 10-09-2021 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

What router should i purchase to replace the sagemcom cs 50001.

Something that doesn't cost the earth would be preferrable.

Must have gigabit lan ports

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

Look at this one

ASUS RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900 (AI Mesh USB 3.0 Router,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

What wrong with EIR router, why are you not happy with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Urban, if you don't mind can you let me know how you get on?

I'll be going mesh down the line but I have the same concern you do re: LAN ports (hadn't gotten around to testing them yet) and the default WiFi is piss poor.

Hardly possible, unless there’s some malfunction.

• Advertisement

Most of the Sagemcom routers have a decent WiFi range and speeds. I was getting 550 mbps wireless from f3000 router.

I am all about the Mesh , just make sure you not fall for one of the cheap TP link systems, you won’t get 300 mbps there , don’t mind 550.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I'll do some in home testing but the bar signals dropped to 1-2 just by going upstairs.

The speed would still be decent but what's the point if I can get better speeds by going mesh or using a separate router that doesn't have similar range issues.

Sagemcom are decent routers ( WiFi AP) in terms range/speeds. It almost impossible to cover whole house with single device though. Unless you do site survey and find perfect spot for the router ( normaly as high as possible, not surrounding by the walls which shielding the signal.

Your cheapest option for the mesh would be one of those, I believe :

OK perhaps I should explain what I'm trying to achieve. I'm using ubiquiti nanostations to.shoot WiFi from one house to another. The donor house has gigabit broadband with the sagecom router. I am using a gigabit rated cable from the lan port to the nanostation unit and sending the WiFi 1/2 km. WifI speeds at donor house 700mbs yet on the other side 90mbs. Using loco5s which are capable of 450mbs. That's why I'm thinking it must be the lan ports on the sagecom are only giving me 100mbs.

Post edited by UrbanFret on

I would blame your WiFi bridge link though.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭dam099

Yes the bridge seems to be the likely culprit, a quick google for the model referenced suggests it only has 100Mbs LAN ports (and possibly only 150Mbs air rate not the 450 referenced above).

Think i might have posted the wrong model number earlier. these claim to be capable of 450mbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭dam099

They do look to have Gigabit LAN allright. Claimed speeds and real world aren't always the same thing with some of these devices so that's one possibility or a slightly damaged LAN cable causing it to negotiate down to 100. Any recent Eir router should also be Gigabit capable, have you tested with a PC or other wired devices to see if they can connect at Gigabit speeds?

It will be Friday before I get back to this.ill report back then.

Advertisement