Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using a power washer to unclog a downpipe

Options
  • 10-09-2021 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Has anybody here used a power washer to unclog a downpipe (from ground level)? The gutter where the downpipe is coming from is accessible but I don't have a high enough ladder to get up to it. So I have a pipe cleaning extension for my Karcher power washer and was going to access/clean the pipe from below. Good or bad idea? The downpipe has one bend on it and I'm afraid the force of the water might compromise it. AFAIK: The pipe cleaning extension is usually used for underground pipes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

If you try it make sure you wear safety glasses. O know a guy around me who lost an eye when it blew back in his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Jeez - thanks - I presume you mean when the crap came down or was it the power washer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Most of those cleaning attachments blow the water backwards, so I'd imagine his face was close to the pipe and it hit a stone or hard lump of muck and blew it back at a high pressure level...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

I bought one of those drain cleaning kits for my Karcher. Only thing I would say is that if your downpipe is blocked then the u-bend under you pathway is likely to be blocked as well. Went to do a job on my parents house (first time in over 40 years). Put my hand down the u bend as far as I could and it was totally blocked (with a grass type substance). Power washer attachment was no good. Used sewer rods and only ended up putting holes in the drain pipework underground. Ended up replacing a good section of it. Made sure the plumber put in a proper 'rodding point' so that I could clean it regularly.

Advertisement