Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Placement Experience Programme

Options
  • 09-09-2021 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi to all

im just after coming across this programme and it sounds great!

i had a few questions I’m wondering if folks here might know details?

im on my spouse payment currently, would i be allowed apply for this?

can i apply to a place i want to work in myself? Like a place i would hope to be kept on? - if they aren’t seeking employees currently or advertising- what boss doesn’t want free extra hands?

would it affect our income negatively ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I had to look this up as I’d not heard of it before. It seems to be a new scheme. It says there are no penalties for stopping the scheme. I’d worry that there may be hidden penalties for some. You have to come off many social welfare payments and go on jobseekers to do it. I’d worry people may have trouble getting back on their payment again particularly in the case of DA for example. Jobseekers is one of the least favourable payments to be on outside of the placement which only lasts 6 months. I’m not sure if the employers advertise the positions like with job bridge etc. or if you approach potential employers. I imagine there’s a bit of admin involved for the employer and it takes time and effort to train someone completely new to a role with no experience of it previously (which is a requirement). It may not be as attractive to employers as it seems at first sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 WonderousWorld

Hmmm, im just feeling like, if i could get the necessary experience id be a suitable candidate for when these particular roles arise as they are specific but where id like to be.

i just need a little assurance it would all be ok as i have 2 small kids but I really want to be working in a career of interest not just a job. I have done the job i cant enjoy thing and it left me in a very bad place mentally.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What field or industry interests you? There are very few careers where you could have enough relevant experience and qualifications after just six months to forge a career. Those that would, would be low paid, low skill occupations. Im sorry to be a negative nelly but it looks like just another scheme that could potentially become abused by employers to get cheap labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 WonderousWorld

Potentially id be better off just asking if i could do voluntary work (not a scheme just good old fashioned grind) to get the experience.

i know these schemes are just abused terribly but i guess you’ve to try start somewhere.

Advertisement