Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outdoor railing: Advice Needed

• 08-09-2021 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

So I have an outdoor railing on the balcony of my apartment that has seen better days. Just wondering how I should proceed with this job. Straight into sanding, a coat of primer and then paint? Or based on the state of it, would it need treatment too.

Any advice for a novice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Do you have a Management Company?

Although rather strange, generally, balconies are seen as outdoor property and not actually owned by the apartment owner. Therefore, a replacement rail should be the Management companies job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Strange that it is timber when the uprights are stainless steel. How is the timber structurally, any signs of splitting or rot ? How old is the timber and when was last maintenance do you know ? I'm sure the maintenance company will claim lack of maintenance as the issue but will be interesting to see their response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Assuming you have the authority to do so, I'd be inclined to replace it with some higher quality timber, e.g. oiled hardwood.

Admittedly this is likely to produce some kind of War of Notions in your apartment block and result in you being nicknamed Handrail until you die, and possibly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Thanks all. I'll contact the Management Company, but in my experience, they are pretty useless at this type of stuff.

Handrail is a nickname I can live with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Sand it, Prime it , Paint it and seal it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement