Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Current employer as reference

• 08-09-2021 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

I'm applying for a new job, and one of the referees 'should be your current employer'.

Is this normal? I don't mind my current job so if I am unsuccessful in my application I'd rather my current employer wasn't made aware of my application.

Or do they only contact when your successful?

Thanks,

Joe

Post edited by Joeseph Balls on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭play4fun1

from my own experience, on one occasion recruiter asked if it was fine with me, if she contacted my current manager - don't recall if it was pre/post interview

,On another - it was after I was hired, part of background check/verifications

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Generally your current employer will not give a career reference as it leaves then open to all sorts of legal stuff if you turn out not as described or if they say you are a lunatic you could sue then for defamation. The HR dept will say you worked in the company from x date to y date, that's likely to be it. Some colleagues in your current employer could give a reference in a personal capacity instead if that's what they want.

They won't go in to the reference phase until you are pretty much getting the job.

Advertisement