Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import from UK

Options
  • 07-09-2021 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

We need to order a pallet of goods from the UK (about €3k). I have the taric code for the goods, we are vat registered and have the EORI and Taric code for the goods.... What is the procedure now, do you need to get an agent to clear it when it reaches Ireland like you would when importing from outside EU or is the process somewhat automated?

Have gotten pallets before but not since brexit. Any advise would be helpful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Almost the same, just need clearance and pay the duty / clearance fee.

Find out who will be taking charge of the pallet when it arrives here and contact them. Toga Freight are one of the biggest.

Invoices should have taric code, weight, number of pieces, country of origin and also the shipping cost.

You'll account for the vat in your returns, but will pay the duty and clearance fee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Thanks for the reply. How much is the clearance fee? And for example let's say it is toga freight. What do I do when I contact them?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Import customs clearance is about €55-€65, some agents may charge for use of their TAN account also if the goods are dutiable, normally a small % of the outlay..

Your supplier in the UK will also need to issue an export clearance for the goods leaving the UK.. Might be worth checking with them if they can arrange this.. If not, who ever you book the freight with will need to be able to arrange this..

Best thing to do is put together the following information and contact a few UK-Ireland groupage operators

Collection Address

Delivery Address

Pallet dims and weight, stackable or not?

Any special requirements(Collection or delivery with tail-lift, timed collection or delivery etc.)

Don't have too much experience of Toga freight to comment on their service, but have found them fine to deal with on other business(not UK).. Other operators you could try would be Ace Express in Lusk, Lombard shipping in D15 or Lanigan International in Glasnevin

Out of interest what are the goods?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I should have said the supplier will ship them so I don't need to organise the actual shipping of the pallet. Just when it hits here, the process involved is what I am unsure of to clear customs.... do I just get an email from whoever gets it here and they say you owe X.? It will be multiples of one item so only one taric code and supposedly no duty on them.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Would depend on who they arrange the transport with..

if they splash out for a courier like UPS or DHL then likely it will be fairly automated and you might just get an email to pay charges..

If it’s a groupage operator then their Irish agent or office will contact you but might not be able to provide customs for you..

What inco terms are you buying on? DAP or DDP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If they are made in UK or EU, there will be no duty. If they are made in china or elsewhere, there probably will be duty of about 6% even if goods direct from that country has 0%.

Find out from the supplier who the Irish agent for the shipping company is - it will most likely be Toga, Pallets Express or TPN. They'll email you forms to complete giving them permission to act on your behalf. It mostly automated and in many cases done whilst the goods are travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sugarman20

Are you guys getting stock? :)

My main supplier for the UK is PRL Freight. Their clearance fee is €45. The product is from England but made in China and there is 10% import duty on it.

Yes stock, product from England but made in china. Ah I'll just pull the trigger next week and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

*Posting here instead of starting a new thread as there seems to be people who might know the answers here

I have a pallet on the way over to me from the UK, it's used print equipment that was £3400. As per the code on the invoice when I input it into the simplyduty calculator it comes back as 0% duty.

Would this be correct? What additional charges can I expect on top of that? I'm obviously expecting to pay vat (the company buying is not vat reg'd) so when/how would that be payable?

The company handling the pallet when it comes to Ireland is independent express cargo.

I'm a bit green as far as this goes so any help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement