Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What tyres should I buy

• 06-09-2021 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I figured I would be able to find some help here as I don't know a whole lot about cars. I need to get new tyres and I'm looking for value so I'm thinking of buying online and then paying someone to fit them if that would save some money?

I drive a Toyota Avensis 2004, The current tyres are 205 55 R16 in size. They look a little bit small to me but maybe they are supposed to be.

Basically they are useless in the rain most likely cheap chinese brand, I need something reliable coming into winter that wont spin out when taking off at lights on certain surfaces (And I'm not going heavy on accelerator). Where should I buy tyres and what would be recommended type?

Would winter tyres perform better in the rain or are they more for ice? I dont know whether to get winter or all weather tyres and I dont know which brand is good.

I'm thinking of spending between 50-60 per tyre or is this too much? I'm lost.

Thanks

Bigmac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Spend abit more and don't heed the tyre shop guy who will likely promote the cheap crap as they have better margin on those than good stuff.

Get any of the known brands and you will be fine. If you have heard of them as a tyre brand, they are probably not absolute muck.

What brand have you at the minute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

blackcircles.ie

order your tyres there select the nearest associated tyre place near you and arrive at your chosen time to get them fitted.

no need for in and ask a tyre place to fit tyres for you that you have ordered online.

any of the big brands will do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭b318isp

There are also some excellent mid price brands out there - Hankook, Nokian (and some Toyo) are all worth a shot. However, I'd suggest you budget around €100 per tyre (fitted) for the size given.

Personally, I'd recommend the Hankook Ventus Prime series as being a good all around tyre that won't break the bank.

Needless to say, regular checking of tyre pressures is critical in maintaining their effectiveness. If you don't know much about cars, at least build this into a routine. The best tyres in the world won't do much good if the pressures are off.

If you get decent all weather tyres and maintain them, then don't worry about winter tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

I like oponeo for the reviews. Can't go wrong with a tyre that has over 1000 positive reviews. The linked one is a summer tyre, but there are plenty of all season and winter options too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Choose tyres that have an A winter rating. I have been absolutely delighted with the Debica tyres o got for my Civic Type R. They are a Polish tyre company that were bought by Goodyear. I actually got them because they had the lowest noise rating I could find of tyres that had an A winter rating. Delighted with them, I'll be looking to replace them with the same when the time comes. I bought them via ebay from the UK and had them fitted locally. Unfortunately the UK is out of the picture these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Thanks all.

I've gone with the tyres recommended by Hespy above as they had good reviews, a known brand and are A rated. Once they arrive I'll arrange fitting and balancing. 268 for the 4 seemed reasonable enough for a good tyre with free delivery.

Cheers again all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Can anyone recommend tyre fitting in Dublin? I'm getting prices of 20 euro a tyre is this standard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

15 to 20 euros a tyre is the standard around me , fitted and balanced with a new valve stem fitted.

Places like to charge well for fitting so you might buy the tyres off them in future.

I picked up a tyrechanger and bubble balancer off ebay so i do my own . I find tyre leader very compeditive on tyres , normally keep an eye on them for offers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

The tyre changer was bought second hand . Its a balco fully pneumatic tyre changer. Same style that is in the tyre centres bat it uses air to turn the table over an electric motor. Im able to do runflats with it without damage. It was bought cheap and has paid for itself over and over

The balancer is one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheel-Balancer-Portable-Tyre-Wheels-Durable-Car-Truck-Rim-Cars-Bubble-Level-1108-/383765847544?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0.

It will never balance as good as the machine but does a good job all the same

• Advertisement
Advertisement