Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Hyundai i10 2020 - is it a safe for new driver?

• 05-09-2021 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ Hannaho

My nephew has jus passed his test. My sister won a Fiesta recently - Credit Union, and is thinking of giving her son the Hyundai i10 - at least he wants the i10. He is 19 and passed his driving test in June. He's in college. However, my sister feels the Hyundai i10 is a vey light car, and despite it being only 2020, the car only has a 3 star NCAP rating. What would anyone here think about this. Is it a safe car for a teenager? Should he be in something a little sturdier, even if a bit older?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭ PsychoPete

Yes, perfectly safe. I wouldn't pay a whole lot of attention to the ncap ratings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ padyjoe

Has your sister regretted buying the i10?

If there is a crash, doesn't matter who's behind the wheel whether the teenager or the sister, the shock to the body will be the same. If she hadn't won the Fiesta, would she be driving the i10? If it has been safe enough for her so far, it'll be no different for the teenager. Or the teenager gets the Fiesta and the worry is eliminated. Under unfortunate circumstances the Fiesta could crash terrible despite the better safety rating.

Long story cut short, I'd say the same as Pete mentioned above, safe enough.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Henry Ford III

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭ 2ndcoming

If everyone drove i10s they'd be a lot safer. A big problem for small cars now is the proliferation of SUVs / crossovers etc. Biddy driving 2 tonnes of metal around the place and her barely able to see over the steering wheel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Henry Ford III

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ padyjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭ Barr

Op , is it the newer 2020 model or the older version ? If it is the newer one , I'm surprised it only got 3 stars

• Registered Users Posts: 72,783 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm

2020 test is much stricter than the older 2014 standard in terms of frontal offset impact.

it’s a safer car than the old model, which has more NCAP stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ omri

The bigger the car the safer for occupants, the younger/less experienced driver the bigger danger to him/herself and other road users.

Advertisement