Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two way lighting methods

Options
  • 05-09-2021 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭

Any advantages of using one of these methods vs the other.?. I think my 49 year old install is the top schematic as no landing light when both switches are either both "up" or "down".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Did you get the images from below, as there is an explanation as to why the lower schematic is to be avoided as there will always be a live at the upper switch if you disable the lighting circuit upstairs and also the live and neutral can come from different circuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

I just used the schematic as a template, the wiring & switching is exactly as I described it. I am not a electrician but I couldn't imagine any competent person disabling just the "lighting circuit upstairs" without ensuring that the whole circuit is isolated, I certainly didn't remove any wires from either switch without isolating the live (removed fuse in my case). and then tested again for a (no) live)

This thread is also in the Electrical section, a mod might please combine the posts under one and delete the other to avoid confusion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

incorrect, there is nothing to suggest that the neutral is from another circuit. There is nothing wrong with either arrangement, both are taught to apprentices in college.

The 1st example is generally used when converting 1 way switching to 2 way. The 2nd method is more traditional.

Advertisement