Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro radio ads.

Options
  • 05-09-2021 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

We all have favourite TV ads from years past but what radio ads from the 70s, 80s and 90s do you remember? They don't tend to be as well documented as tv ads.

I've a vague memory of one with someone taking off Bob Geldoff where he was called "Bob Smelldoff". Cant remember what it was for.

There was one for Shake N Vac that parodied the famous tv one. This woman with a strong Cork or Kerry accent was very badly singing the Shake N Vac song, when she sings the final line her voice goes all high pitched "put the freshness BAAACK!" This one was from around 1990/91.

Post edited by Hangdogroad on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You hear a few on RTE Gold on Saturdays.

Dalys 80s used to include a retro radio slot but alas thats long since gone to Radio heaven.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

One from circa mid to late 80s that's stuck with me. It was something to do with farming, possibly insurance related. It had this portentous voiceover warning about the value of stock plummeting and "something" becoming a nightmare. At the word nightmare, you hear a guy giving a loud, sharp scream and sinister music. At the end of the ad you hear the soothing voice of a woman, presumably the wife of the guy having the nightmare reassuring him that they're insured.

That ad used to scare the hell out of me.

Then there was that one for Fleetwood Paint early to mid 90s with this fella "rapping" Fleetwood, would would Fleetwood. Various voiceover people doing Hollywood stars of the time. Arnie saying something about "Terminator black" Sharon Stone "will it satisfy my Basic Instinct?" and Mccauley Culkin with some reference to Home Alone.

Another one from the early 90s I remember had this woman going "I was only a teenager when I tried it for the first time" as she went on certain words were bleeped out like she was talking about sex but at the end its revealed she was talking about sticky buns. It was pretty annoying.

There was a very annoying series of radio ads circa 1999/2000 that seemed to be inspired by Sex And The City, only with D4 type women. One had these two chatting about a mutual friend, one of them goes in a weird, gushing, breathless tone "she's after getting...(dramatic pause) a Brazillian!". Immediately after theres this short musical tone as if to signify the punchline to a joke.

There was another equally irritating one where the same two characters are mocking the boyfriend of one of them and one says to him they were washing the cat. After this line the same punchline musical cue is sounded as if yer wan has issued a hilarious witticism.

Naturally I haven't the foggiest idea what the ads were for.

Post edited by Hangdogroad on

• Advertisement

One from mid to late 90s that I vaguely remember but no idea what it was for. A guy goes into a shop asking for something specific and shop assistant says, in a condescending D4 accented tone "this is a music shop man". Customer asks another question and snooty record store guy rattles off a list of musical genres "indie, ska, funk.."etc etc.

1890 777 121

Ad for citizens information line that used to run a lot in the early to mid 00s, was the start of massive amounts of government advertising on the radio.

There was no escaping the Daft Dave ones , were on every radio ad break for a while.

• Advertisement

Harvey Norman too with a singing jingle ad was another one in that Daft Dave era.

Remember that ad that was on every Christmas for Barry's tea about the father who bought the trainset for himself? It's probably still going but I don't listen to radio much at Christmas anymore. Is the charity ad with the "are we there yet" goat still going? I think it was that one Miley from Gleanroe used to do it's voiceover.

The Barrys trainset one is still going at Christmas. The one with the goat was for Bothar, safe to say we won't be hearing that one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

One that's burned into my head for Labello, early 90s. Probably on 98FM as that's mostly what my parents listened to.

Think howiya Dublin accents with Boléro by Ravel as the background music...

Anto?

Wha'?

Nothin'

Anto?

Wha'?

Will ye give me a kiss?

Wha'?

Kiss me Anto! Kiss me now!

Ye know me lips are killin' me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

One from the early pirate radio era of the 70's - The Red Corner Shop.

V/O by the legendary Tony Allan and carried by most of the AM pirates of the time. "The Red Corner Shop.. 89 Lower Dorest street. Open 7 days a week!"

I can still remember the address and I have never been there 😁

Some great examples here in this 2 FM recording from 1982.

Advertisement