Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect consultation

Options
  • 04-09-2021 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I want to plan an extension , I want to involve an architect . I want to bring a couple of different architects around at different times obviously to get their perspectives and then decide from there which one to work with. How does that work from a fee perspective ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some will be happy to meet/have a chat with you without charge (but don't expect lots of ideas for free!). Some will charge a nominal fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Harry321

Anyone else have experience or point of view that they can share please

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

There is really not much more to add to what the above poster said. You will need to research architects, most have some project pictures online. Contact the ones you like, a call is generally the fastest way to get in contact with them and to get an idea if they are interested in working on your project. Depending on the scale of your project you might have difficulty in getting past the receptionist!

They will advise you of fees when you're scheduling the appointment. During the appointment they will also give you a breakdown of their costs, ie. the cost for drawings, for full plans, for consultancy or fr the full management of the project. Do keep in mind that while architects are invaluable in giving ideas that this is your house and if you really want something or don't want something then you need to be very firm with that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if i was in that situation id arrange to call to you sometime in the area, have a look at what you have, listen to what you want to end up with, tell you the possible issues you would have with your brief, and i would then take your contact details to provide a quote to you within the following few days.

if the quote was accepted i would then arrange to call back to do a full site measure, and only after that would i have a more in-depth conversation about whats possible, giving my thoughts on the brief and what you could do.

a domestic extension is not at a level to enter into any kind of 'architecture completion' for, which is what you seem to want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

Lots of architects now charging for an initial consultation for a 1-hour or 2-hour visit - sometimes they will knock it off their fees if the project does go ahead.

Some use it as a means of avoiding time-wasters - understandable if an architect has quite a few initial inquiries - a lot of time spent on them and often they don't go any further.

RIAI do an annual Simon Open Door fund raiser where you can get an architect to visit for an hour+ for consultation advice, etc. and make a donation of £100 to the charity.

Might be worthwhile having a few conversations with architects by phone to try to narrow down those who are interested, who you get on with, who is a good fit for your project, etc.

Good architects will add value to your extension and any other alterations, and they should lift it beyond a bog standard building add on - but it depends on what you want really.

Regards

F

• Advertisement
Advertisement