Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning Chromebook For Refund.

• 04-09-2021 12:39pm

Bought a HP x360 14c Chromebook from Argos online and want a refund because the screen is not very bright at all in bright light, my galaxy s5e Tablet has a way brighter screen.

Brought it to Carlow Argos who refused to issue refunt saying there is absolutely no legal basis for giving a refund on a product returned used + they would have to inspect it and they decide if there is an issue before they would even consider it.

According to argos you have 30 days to refund a product unopened so I asked what was I supposed to do take it home and tell by looking at the box that the screen is too dim ?

See the link above ?

What if I got Visa to reverse the funds ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Items bought online can be opened for inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Did you actually buy it online or did you book it online and buy it from the store.

Under the European Union (Consumer Information, Cancellation and Other Rights) Regulations 2013 you have the right to cancel your order for any item bought on this website for a full refund. This doesn't apply to:

• Items reserved for collection in-store where they are paid for on collection

Then you simply tell them that you are returning it under the EU distance selling directive.

You need to tell the person this - and they say this too in the terms and conditions.

• Please make it clear when you cancel that you are cancelling under the European Union (Consumer Information, Cancellation and Other Rights) Regulations 2013.

People need to read terms and conditions and that can usually prevent mixups.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Inspection can include looking at the item, checking its size for example.

It's very much another thing to plug in the item, agree to its user license and create an account on the operating system.

In this instance the OP now has a used item, it cannot be resold as new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭raxy

send a mail to the CCPC. They should be able to tell you if you are within your rights to return the laptop.

HP Chromebook x360 14c - Review 2020 - PCMag UK. Here's a review of the chromebook which says the screen brightness could be better.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CCPC give some useful info

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/buying-online/#exclusions

I'd be inclined to think that this section applys to this op's case, as the item has now lost value

"Diminished value

If you want to cancel your order and return goods, you are responsible for taking care of them until they are returned. If you don’t you may have to pay for diminished value. This means that if the goods are damaged or lose value as a result of you handling them beyond what is necessary to check the features, functionality, characteristics, fit etc, you may have to pay for part or the full cost of the item."

The fact that you could easily find a review that mentions the screen brightness also shows the OP could have easily done some research before buying too

I got confirmation email from Argos UK saying that I am entitled to a refund and the Carlow store should have refunded me, they said show them the email but I expect they will still deny it or claim it's a bogus mail.

Really shocking behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Did you buy it from Argos UK? If so you will have to return it to Argos UK. Something bought online generally can't be brought back to the local shop to return, particularly if it was a different country.

But as I said above, you did not request the refund based on the EU distance selling regulations, you looked for a refund through their standard 30 day policy that states the item must not be opened.

If no you made it clear that you were returning under the distance selling regulations, there would have been no issues.

They do request that when returning to a store that you inform them of this.

So I think you have to take some blame for the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What's shocking is that you expected the shop staff to by psychic. You gave the wrong reason for wanting to return it. Argos are one of the best for returning goods.

Yeah, I'm a disgrace, but hopefully I'll get the money back Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

it isn't faulty - All reviews I saw for this do mention brightness is something to be aware of - its a great service we can return stuff that doesn't work out.

Just saying though - it would be nice to them and the environment if you can repackage it as best you can so they can resell it to someone it does suit rather than landfill it.

“Roll it back”

I returned the chromebook to Argos Liffey Valley, all they asked me is if I have the receipt, showed it to them and refunded, took all of 5 mins. Nice.

I went into the Currys just down a bit and so many Laptops mainly HP have dim screens, really not what I'm used to, perhaps a bad way to save on battery power ?

Believe it or not the best screen on anything I saw there was a Samsung A7+, that was actually extremely impressive, I have a Samsung s5e tablet and the screen on that is also very impressive and the audio quality is pretty impressive too.

Advertisement