Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving oil tank

• 01-09-2021 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭

I've to replace my oil tank soon and am going to move it to a shed.

It's currently near my well and a leak could be catastrophic for my drinking water.

If I move it into an open shed, do I need to put it on a plinth and if so, how high.

I assume as its a concrete floor that a block base would be sufficient without being cemented.

Before anyone asks. The previous owners put it beside the well when the house was built 25 years ago.

Tia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Oil Tank is not allowed inside a shed, ( building regulations) I know plenty of people do put it inside a shed, but it's a high fire risk from other appliances, lawnmower etc etc.

The rules allow for a 3 sided leanto, but definitely not in a closed space like a shed. Unless tank is own self-contained enclosed fireproof structure with a fire resistance rateing of 45 minutes.

The last thing the firebirgade expect when fighting a fire is 1000 litres of explosive fuel in a plastic container, hence the reason for oil tanks been outside.

Oil Tank is men't to be 50 meters from a borehole well too.

But this isn't a perfect world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks for your reply.

It's an open sided concrete shed so probably would fit into your definition. There's no lawnmowers etc stored there.

Will chat to the plumber on Friday.

It's more like 5 feet from the well. Regulations obviously changed in 25 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

We moved ours a few years ago and the builder had to put it up on block walls with a concrete plinth under it and it couldn't be beside the shed so not sure it would be ok to have it inside a shed. We have block garden walls but I don't think it can be beside a garden fence either.

Plus, you're house insurance is a minefield........even if you're burgled insurance company will say " whoa, the oil tank is in tye shed"........DON'T PUT AN OIL TANK INSIDE SHED.....bad bad idea/ it'll end in tears

I'm limited as to where it can go. I've a septic tank nearby as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

as tom pointed out earlier about the 50m rule not many can comply

tank will need to be bunded as well

Just to update. I got a bunded tank and left it where it was originally.

Not ideal but the best I could do.

Thanks for update.......as Del used to say " you know it makes sense"

Advertisement