Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SN550 not being recognised (CSM issues)

Options
  • 01-09-2021 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I've an SN550 1TB drive in my PC as my boot drive. When I was installing windows on it when I was upgrading my build (around the start of the year roughly) I had to enable the compatibility support module for it to be recognised. Grand job worked away fine.

Now over the last few weeks when I turn on the computer it'll bring up that screen that you usually get before installing windows where it says something about inserting boot media and pressing any key.

I have to then hard shut it down, go into bios where the SN 550 is not showing up but the 2 SATA hard drives are coming up , turn off CSM, save and exit, go into bios again, enable CSM, save and exit and then go into bios again to see if the drive is being detected and usually it is. Then I'm good to go again.

There is a bunch of other settings under the CSM setting that I'm not really sure of. Will post a pic of it when I'm home. Something about UEFI Vs legacy for a few different settings and that I should follow manufacturers guidelines or something. Anyone have any words of wisdom? Motherboard is a B550 A gaming with a 3600.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What version of Windows were you installing that would require CSM to be enabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Just windows 10 pro. When I first booted up the PC and went into bios the SN550 wasn't turning up and I just saw something online about enabling CSM would probably make the drive show up. Or it might have been that the usb wasn't being detected, either or, I enabled CSM and I was good to go then

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I wonder if the drive is still MBR, and not GPT. That could explain why CSM would be needed.

Ya Spear you're right it's an MBR partition. Did I format it as an MBR drive or is it just something that windows does when installing onto a fresh SSD (the SN550 was brand spanking new)? I might have enabled CSM to detect the bootable USB, idk. So I've guessing I need CSM because that allows for BIOS to support MBR as UEFI doesn't support it.

Anyway when launching without CSM enabled it won't boot windows so I'm figured now that I've installed Windows with CSM enabled there's no going back.

However when I boot (only as far as UEFI) with CSM disabled it always detects the drive. When CSM is enabled, the UEFI only detects the drive when I made a change to CSM settings on the previous UEFI boot.

I've included a picture of the CSM Configuration settings. When I set all to legacy she worked away fine for a few boots but back to square one after the 4th try which was after fully disconnecting her from AC. So is there any setting I can twiddle with or will I have to convert the drive from MBR to GPT. I have heard of a Windows 10 tool called MBR2GPT but if I'd rather avoid that hassle if I can? Thanks

EDIT: There's only 3 partitions on the drive so i think MBR2GPT is an option. Anyone any experience with it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've used mbr2gpt back some years ago, and it's a fairly safe and easy process. It's necessary for Windows 11, so might as well get it out of the way now.

• Advertisement

Alrighty, I'll give it a go when I get a chance. Cheers for the help!

Advertisement