Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Successful purple sprouting broccoli

Options
  • 01-09-2021 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

I have sown this from seed for over 20 years now and the results have been patchy with the sprouts turning out fairly lightweight compared to what I have observed in others' gardens and on the shop shelves (eg in Marks and Spensers).

This year though I finally bought a tray of plants from the local hardware store and the difference (from the seed grown plants) was marked -with the first heads on the plants the size of small calabreses which went on to turn into quite a few large spears over the following few weeks

I am puzzled as to this marked improvement in the crop.

Might it be down to the hybrid seeds?Do commercial plant sellers only use these perhaps?

Advertisement