Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual driving licence - GB and Republic of Ireland.

• 01-09-2021 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I hold a ROI driving license and live in the UK. I insure my English car with my Irish License. 

I am considering exchanging my license for a mainland UK one but I would also like to keep my Irish one as for when driving at home in my family members vehicle as a named driver. 

I’ve two licenses as I lost one, got a new one and found my old one. Would I be able to exchange one for a mainland UK license and keep my original ROI license? 

Would I have any problems when I go to renew my ROI license when it expires?

Reason for exchanging license- Cheaper insurance and being able to prove my address if I got stopped. 

Kindest Regards to all!

Post edited by biko on
    Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

The lost one will have been cancelled. So you only have one licence. (I'm in a similar boat)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My cousin many years ago when he moved to England went through a full test over there to get a UK licence. So in the end he had two licences one UK and one Irish. Worked out for him as he got banned on one and used the other then got banned again and used the other one and ban was up on the first.

That was many years ago when he was young he hasn't been banned since.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Munstersrebel

You cant have 2 licenses of a recognized country. in the ROI. And the UK is an recognized country,. but you can drive with it in Ireland if and when you visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well he had two anyway. I doubt it was legal but as I said he used the other licence when he was banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭beachhead

In the circumstances he was allowed hold 2 licences but as you say it was illegal to drive on another when banned on another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭beachhead

The old one that was lost might show up on the UK database if the gardai and UK police were sharing info when it was lost.Anyway when it's returned to the ROI for verification the number will show up as reported lost.Your query is not unique.Finding a lost licence happens a lot.

Advertisement